eagerbuyer

Default how to count the nr of occurrences of a text string in a cell rang

I have a list of people in a table, one person's details per row including
their address - each address is held in a single multi-line cell. There are
no merged cells in the tableEach address ends with a country name (UK,
Germany, France, Italy, etc)
Thus I have a column of address cells.
I want to be able to summarise under the table the number of people
registered per country. ie one line with the total for UK, one for France,
etc. I started off looking at COUNT functions, to achieve something like:
COUNTxx (IF( cell in <range x:y contains "<country name eg UK ...."))
but I can't find a function that allows me to search a cell for the
occurrence of a specific string in this way
Any ideas?
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 03:25:04 -0800, "eagerbuyer"
wrote:

I have a list of people in a table, one person's details per row including
their address - each address is held in a single multi-line cell. There are
no merged cells in the tableEach address ends with a country name (UK,
Germany, France, Italy, etc)
Thus I have a column of address cells.
I want to be able to summarise under the table the number of people
registered per country. ie one line with the total for UK, one for France,
etc. I started off looking at COUNT functions, to achieve something like:
COUNTxx (IF( cell in <range x:y contains "<country name eg UK ...."))
but I can't find a function that allows me to search a cell for the
occurrence of a specific string in this way
Any ideas?

Use COUNTIF. You may use wildcards in defining the text string.
--ron