Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rich

Default Logarithmic curve formulas in charts and LOGEST fx values?

(Preface: I am not a math genius so I may be doing something way wrong)

I am trying to calculate values for a curve using the LOGEST fx, but the
numbers are not agreeing with the formula provided by the logarithmic curve
formulas in a chart of the data (nor by the 'eyeball' method). Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Hi Rich,

How could we possibly know if you don't give us:

Values input to the formulas,
The formulas,
The results of the formulas,
What you expected,
What the eyeball expectations were
?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Rich" wrote in message
(Preface: I am not a math genius so I may be doing something way wrong)

I am trying to calculate values for a curve using the LOGEST fx, but the
numbers are not agreeing with the formula provided by the logarithmic
curve
formulas in a chart of the data (nor by the 'eyeball' method). Any
thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Don't hesitate to post again (in this same thread) with some more details

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Rich" wrote in message
(Preface: I am not a math genius so I may be doing something way wrong)

I am trying to calculate values for a curve using the LOGEST fx, but the
numbers are not agreeing with the formula provided by the logarithmic
curve
formulas in a chart of the data (nor by the 'eyeball' method). Any
thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike Middleton

Rich -

I am trying to calculate values for a curve using the LOGEST fx, but the
numbers are not agreeing with the formula provided by the logarithmic
curve formulas in a chart of the data (nor by the 'eyeball' method). Any
thoughts? <

Two thoughts:

(1) LOGEST is appropriate for an exponential trendline, not for the
logarithmic trendline.

(2) Be sure you're using an XY (Scatter) chart type, not a Line chart type.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com