Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Hood

Default Date format default problem

If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
straightening the matter.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I think you could either:

EditFormat
\Category: TEXT
So anything you type in the cell will be treated as text.

OR

Type an apostrophe before the number, forcing Excel to treat the input as
text.
Example:
A1: '02/2668

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Hood" wrote:

If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
straightening the matter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:26:06 -0800, "Hood"
wrote:

If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
straightening the matter.

It depends on what you what to do.

If you want to enter it as a string, then pre-format the cell as text; or
precede your entry with an apostrophe (single quote) or a <space.

If you want to enter it as a fraction, then enter it as 0 2/2668

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

preformat the cell as text (format|Cells|number tab|Text)

or prefix your entry with an apostrophe:

'02/2668

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Correction of my previous post.

That should be:
EditFormatNumber
\Category: TEXT

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Hood" wrote:

If I type a serial 02/2668 into Excel it gets confused and thinks it is
February in the year 2668. This then confuses me. Is there a way of
straightening the matter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Default Yikes....my brain stopped working

Wow....I think I might have forgotten everything I knew about Excel!

EditFORMAT????.....NO!

FormatCellsNumber....Yes. (sheesh!)

Regards,
Ron