Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jake

Default help with vlookup function

I have a workbook that contains data for each of the months Jan thru Dec for
racing say about 150 cars, 70 cars or less a month, all separated into
monthly worksheets according to cars data (builder, time, ID number, car
name) that ran that month. With each month, there is a car that is awarded
points for first place thru x place. (I have that part figured out) Some cars
do not run each month. What I need to do is to lookup if the car ran in "X
month" then to get the points that is associated to it enter it into a cell
and, If it did not run then enter a 0 for no points.

Also, there are two different catagories for the cars, stock and Modified.
In the end, I want to be able to sort the cars by catagory and total points
for year end. More than one car can be built by a builder so I would also
need to add the total points for each builder's cars and total them for each
different builder.
Any Clues as to how to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
paul

its relatively easy to do the lookup thing for one car for one month,or even
one car for the whole year ,but we need to know how you want your data
displayed.I am not to good on the filter thing but i think thats how you want
to proceed
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Jake" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jake

First I want to just be able to get the data for the particular car in each
month. If the car did not race then I would like to enter a "0" in the cell.

"Jake" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DOR

I would recommend taking all the data from the different sheets and
putting it into one sheet, possibly adding a column for the date or
month. Then you can do all the analysis or summarization you need
easily, using pivot tables or sumproduct or other similar formulas
summarizing into a different sheet. Since you have only about 70 cars
per month, that will amount to only about 840 rows. Even if you have a
row for a car that does not run in a particular month, it still is only
about 1800 rows.

Putting the same type of data in different sheets for different months
can be more trouble than it is worth. If you put the data in the same
sheet, you can still get the effect of seeing only one month at a time
through AutoFilter. Summarization is much simpler with all the results
data on one sheet.

If you woud like to send me a sample spreadsheet I will set it up for
you.

HTH

Declan O'R