Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Neil M

Default Drop Down Menus - 2nd Problem

Okay! We are making some progress, but I hit another roadblock.

Here is the formula exactly as it is entered in the first row in cell F78.

=IF(ISBLANK(D78),"",VLOOKUP(D78,LU_Ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

So when I scroll to "0.25" in cell D78 I get "0.146" in cell F78
GREAT!!!
Now, if I go down 1 row to cell D79 and copy the same list for a drop down
menu and type the following formula in cell F79:
=IF(ISBLANK(D79),"",VLOOKUP(D79,LU_ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

I get a reference error. I am referencing the same list name so why won't it
just do the same as the cell above?

Thanks ,
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

It looks like there might be a misunderstanding of the way the VLOOKUP
function works:
=VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ra nge_lookup)
Whe
-lookup_value = Value to look for

-table_array = List of values to seach for that value (uses 1st col, only)

-col_index_num = Column that holds the value to return if lookup val is
found. Refers to the relative column number in the lookup range
Example: if the lookup range is D1:E10 and you want the values in column E,
then that is the 2nd column in the lookup range.

-range_lookup = FALSE: for exact matches, True: for approximate matches

Consequently, in your formula
=IF(ISBLANK(D78),"",VLOOKUP(D78,LU_Ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

I think you might try:
=IF(ISBLANK(D78),"",VLOOKUP(D78,LU_Ktype,2,0))

Does that help?

€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢€¢
Regards,
Ron

"Neil M" wrote:

Okay! We are making some progress, but I hit another roadblock.

Here is the formula exactly as it is entered in the first row in cell F78.

=IF(ISBLANK(D78),"",VLOOKUP(D78,LU_Ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

So when I scroll to "0.25" in cell D78 I get "0.146" in cell F78
GREAT!!!
Now, if I go down 1 row to cell D79 and copy the same list for a drop down
menu and type the following formula in cell F79:
=IF(ISBLANK(D79),"",VLOOKUP(D79,LU_ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

I get a reference error. I am referencing the same list name so why won't it
just do the same as the cell above?

Thanks ,
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Neil M

Okay, now I got it. I assumed the 2,0 were just variables that you plugged in
because you did not know my reference cells. I didn't realize it was part of
the command/formula and thought I should selected the range of cells.

Ron, thank you very much. This spreadsheet is worth a big promotion for me
and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Neil

"Neil M" wrote:

Okay! We are making some progress, but I hit another roadblock.

Here is the formula exactly as it is entered in the first row in cell F78.

=IF(ISBLANK(D78),"",VLOOKUP(D78,LU_Ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

So when I scroll to "0.25" in cell D78 I get "0.146" in cell F78
GREAT!!!
Now, if I go down 1 row to cell D79 and copy the same list for a drop down
menu and type the following formula in cell F79:
=IF(ISBLANK(D79),"",VLOOKUP(D79,LU_ktype,BK68:BK86 ,BK68:BK86))

I get a reference error. I am referencing the same list name so why won't it
just do the same as the cell above?

Thanks ,
Neil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions