Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Brother of Andrew

Default Counting based on values in two columns?

I have a table like this (more or less)

A yes
B no
A no
C yes
A no
c yes

I want to know how many A's are there and how many are yes and how many are
no? same for B, C...Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

Why don't you use a pivot table to do this.

"Brother of Andrew" <Brother of wrote in
message ...
I have a table like this (more or less)

A yes
B no
A no
C yes
A no
c yes

I want to know how many A's are there and how many are yes and how many
are
no? same for B, C...Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John Michl

I agree with the pivot table, especially if there is alot of data.
However, to do this with a formula you could use the following:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20="A"),--(B1:B20="Yes"))
Assuming, of coursem that the data ranges are equal in length and from
rows 1 through 20. Change the "Yes" to "No" to get the other value.

- John
www.JohnMichl.com