Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steven Sinclair

Default Can I do this?

If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=INDEX(1:Try,,MAX(2))

--

HTH

RP

"Steven Sinclair" wrote in
message ...
If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Sorry, that response got messed.

Try this formula

=INDEX(1:1,,MATCH(MAX(2:2),2:2,0))

--

HTH

RP

"Steven Sinclair" wrote in
message ...
If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

One way:

=INDEX(A1:J1,MATCH(MAX(A2:J2),A2:J2))

(did you really mean rows of numbers or columns of numbers (=max(b1:b10))????

Steven Sinclair wrote:

If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

You've started down the right path... MAX to get the max value in row 2,
then MATCH to find how far into the row that value is found, then INDEX to
get the corresponding entry from row 1. Something like
=index(A1:J1,match(max(A2:J2),A2:J2,false)).

"Steven Sinclair" wrote:

If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

I left off a 0.

=INDEX(A1:J1,MATCH(MAX(A2:J2),A2:J2),0)

Steven Sinclair wrote:

If I have two rows of numbers...

5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50
1 16 23 18 64 28 46 72 18 26

Is there a formula I can insert, in another cell elsewhere on the sheet,
that will find the largest value in the second row, but return the
corresponding number from the first row? In the above example, I could use
"=max(b1:b10)" to find the largest number in row b, but how do I reference
row a?

Thanx.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steven Sinclair

Cool...gettin' closer!

8^)

Now, how can I accomplish the same feat, but instead of searching for the
largest number and giving me the corresponding number, search for the five
highest and give me the five corresponding numbers.

Thanx again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steven Sinclair

Anyone?

8^)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=INDEX(1:1,,MATCH(LARGE(2:2,1),2:2,0))
=INDEX(1:1,,MATCH(LARGE(2:2,2),2:2,0))
etc.

--

HTH

RP

"Steven Sinclair" wrote in
message ...
Cool...gettin' closer!

8^)

Now, how can I accomplish the same feat, but instead of searching for the
largest number and giving me the corresponding number, search for the five
highest and give me the five corresponding numbers.

Thanx again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

What didn't work?