csandi

Default Simple Formula (I thought)

Been racking my brains all day on this, I'm sure one of you clever
people out there can help me. I need to do a simple calculation based
on hourly rates, example as follows.
TA bills out at $20 an hour
MF bills out at $50 an hour
FG bills out at $70 an hour

All the above are in the same column of a worksheet....how the hell do
I get a total for the above as a grand total. i.e. IF A1 = TA, do a
calculation, add to total. IF A6 = MF do a calculation add to total and
so on. The initials are in drop down boxes....and the input needs to be
simple cos numptys like me have to do this... :)

Any help would be very appreciated.
Chris
AKA Excel virgin

--
csandi
csandi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28809

Bob Phillips

Presumably, you want to multiply by the hours, in column B?

If so, use

=SUMIF(A1:A100,H1,B1:B100)*(IF(H1="TA",20,IF(H1="M F",50,IF(H1="FG",70,0))))

where H1 holds the id to calculate.

--

HTH

RP

"csandi" wrote in
message ...

[...]

csandi

Your a genious...definately on my Christmas Card list.
Thanks
Chris

--
csandi
csandi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28809
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484973

Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:45:27 -0600, csandi
wrote:

Been racking my brains all day on this, I'm sure one of you clever
people out there can help me. I need to do a simple calculation based
on hourly rates, example as follows.
TA bills out at $20 an hour
MF bills out at $50 an hour
FG bills out at $70 an hour

All the above are in the same column of a worksheet....how the hell do
I get a total for the above as a grand total. i.e. IF A1 = TA, do a
calculation, add to total. IF A6 = MF do a calculation add to total and
so on. The initials are in drop down boxes....and the input needs to be
simple cos numptys like me have to do this... :)

Any help would be very appreciated.
Chris
AKA Excel virgin

A single formula for the Grand Total would be:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100={"TA","MF","FG"})*(B1:B100*{2 0,50,70}))

However, if your list of initials is in some column named "initials" and your
associated list of rates is in some column named "rates", then the following
**array** formula might be more flexible for future editing.

To enter an **array** formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter.
Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

=SUM((A1:A100=TRANSPOSE(Initials))*(B1:B100*TRANSP OSE(Rates)))

(If Initials and Rates are in rows instead of columns, you won't need the
Transpose Function)

--ron