Lucylambkin

Default Using formulas/functions

I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank they
are left blank.

I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other spreadsheet
is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the cell.

Can anyone help
Domenic

Try something like...

=IF(Sheet2!A1<"",Sheet2!A1,"")

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Lucylambkin" wrote:

I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank they
are left blank.

I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other spreadsheet
is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the cell.

Can anyone help

Jason Clement

This is a common problem for me, I usually use an IF statement to test if the
data cell is empty and then set the target cell to empty if it is:

=IF(A1="", "", A1)

Note: I use A1="" rather than ISBLANK(A1) because if A1 contains a formula
resulting in "", then ISBLANK() returns FALSE.

"Lucylambkin" wrote:

I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank they
are left blank.

I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other spreadsheet
is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the cell.

Can anyone help

sdp777

How would this be formated if it was coming from another file altogether?
Im stuck he
=IF(\\SERVER\USERS\username\test1.xls#Sheet2!A1<" ",Sheet2!A1,"")

Thanks for the assistance. Is Excel the best option for attempting to link
files for example for employee time sheets in to a master spreadsheet?

Im sure Excel can do it, but the support literature doesnt articulate how.
Steven

"Domenic" wrote:
Try something like...

=IF(Sheet2!A1<"",Sheet2!A1,"")

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Lucylambkin" wrote:

I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank they
are left blank.

I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other spreadsheet
is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the cell.

Can anyone help

Peo Sjoblom

Open both files first, apply the link by clicking the other cell or by
coping and paste special as link, then you can close the other workbook and
excel will put in the path for you so if I open a file, then type

=IF(then I click on the cell in the other file,apply the condition, click
again, apply if condition is FALSE, add a closing parenthesis and press
enter, this will for example give me

=IF('[check register.xls]OCTOBER 2005'!$N$7<"",'[check register.xls]OCTOBER
2005'!$N$7,"")

now I close the check register file

and my formula changes to

=IF('K:\common\ACCT\Period06\[check register.xls]OCTOBER
2005'!$N$7<"",'K:\common\ACCT\Period06\[check register.xls]OCTOBER
2005'!$N$7,"")

it is always much better to apply a formula with all workbooks in question
open, then you'll get the paths for "free"

Peo Sjoblom

Peo Sjoblom

"sdp777" wrote in message
How would this be formated if it was coming from another file altogether?
Im stuck he
=IF(\\SERVER\USERS\username\test1.xls#Sheet2!A1<" ",Sheet2!A1,"")

Thanks for the assistance. Is Excel the best option for attempting to

link
files for example for employee time sheets in to a master spreadsheet?

Im sure Excel can do it, but the support literature doesnt articulate how.
Steven

"Domenic" wrote:
Try something like...

=IF(Sheet2!A1<"",Sheet2!A1,"")

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Lucylambkin" wrote:

I want to insert a formula/function that inserts data from another
spreadsheet, but that if the cells in the other spreadsheet are blank

they
are left blank.

I have tried setting up a formula, but if the cell in the other

spreadsheet
is blank, then the spreadsheet which has the formula shows a 0 in the

cell.

Can anyone help

sdp777

Thank you. I will attempt to apply this information.

sdp

"sdp777" wrote in message
How would this be formated if it was coming from another file altogether?
Im stuck he
=IF(\\SERVER\USERS\username\test1.xls#Sheet2!A1<" ",Sheet2!A1,"")

Thanks for the assistance. Is Excel the best option for attempting to

link
files for example for employee time sheets in to a master spreadsheet?

Im sure Excel can do it, but the support literature doesnt articulate how.
Steven

"Domenic" wrote:
Try something like...

=IF(Sheet2!A1<"",Sheet2!A1,"")