Des

Default LOOKUP

I have a long list of 16 digit account numbers in col1 sheet 1. In sheet 2, I
have 2 columns - col 1 lists account nos., but only the 1st 8 digits. Col 2
contains text corresponding to each 8 digit account no.
In col2 sheet1, I want to search sheet 2 and return the col2 text
corresponding to the 1st 8 digits of the account no. in col 1 of this sheet.
Is VLOOKUP the right function and how do I tell it to just look at the first
8 digits in col 1?
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(A1,8),Sheet2!A1:B10,2,0)

I'm assuming the account numbers in both locations are TEXT.

Biff