Ray S.

Default What function can I use

I have an excel workbook with several sheets. On one sheet I have "details"
with a column identifying "cost centers". In another sheet I want to show the
sums of the different cost centers (a summary of the details). Is there a
function whereby I can have all the detailed items summed by cost center
identification number from the column in the details sheet reflect
automatically in the summary sheet? Maybe a simplified example:

detail sheet:
cc amt
100 5.00
100 6.00
101 1.00

summary sheet:
cc amt
100 11.00
101 1.00

Of course, the detail sheet has hundreds of cost centers and many more
individual entries. I just want some sort of conditional lookup that will
find and sum all like cost center entries.

bpeltzer

Check sumif. Ex: =sumif(Detail!A:A,A2,Detail!B:B). This would look for
matches of cell A2 in column A of the Detail sheet and, where found, sum up
the corresponding entries of column B of the Detail sheet. (I think of the
arguments to SUMIF as 'where to look, what to find, what to add up'). --Bruce

"Ray S." wrote:

[...]

Max

Another option .. quite ideal to use a pivot table (PT)
(Takes only a few clicks n drags to set-up)

In the detail sheet, select any cell within the table

Click Data Pivot Table Report
Click Next Next
In step3 of the wiz.:
Drag and drop "cc" within the ROW area
Drag and drop "amt" within the DATA area
(It'll appear as "Sum of amt")
Click Finish

The PT will be created in a new sheet just to the left,
giving:

Sum of amt
cc Total
100 11
101 1
Grand Total 12

The PT would provide the summary you want
--
Rgds
Max

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM