Mark Dvorkin

Default how can I get the name of the active worksheet?

Hi all:

I have a workbook that has up to 30 sheets, i.e. one sheet for each day
of the month.
For ex.: Nov1, Nov2 and so on.

I'm averaging values in cell AA32 by

=AVERAGE(Nov1:Nov2!AA32)

As the month progresses a new sheet is added, i.e. I copy the last
sheet, say Nov2 and get Nov2(1)
I rename it to Nov3 and now I have to go to cell AA32!Nov3 and edit Nov2
in the average formula
to Nov3

Is there a way to get the name of an active sheet without using VBA?

Tanks in advance,
/mark

Dave Peterson

How about an alternative???

I like this technique...

Create two new worksheets--one to the far right and one to the far left.

Call them Start and End

Then using a sheet (Summary) that is outside this "sandwich" of worksheets:

=Average(start:end!AA32)

Then you can drag sheets in and out of that sandwich to play what if games.

I'd put a couple of notes on each of these sheets:

"don't delete this sheet!"

And protect the worksheet so that people don't use it for real data.

--

Dave Peterson
RagDyer

To add to Dave's suggestion, you can "hide" these 2 (Start & End) WBs, so
that they can't be used accidentally,
And, since they're hidden, there's no way a "new" WB can be created or
dragged outside their "sandwich".

RD

Mark Dvorkin wrote:

Hi all:

I have a workbook that has up to 30 sheets, i.e. one sheet for each day
of the month.
For ex.: Nov1, Nov2 and so on.

I'm averaging values in cell AA32 by

=AVERAGE(Nov1:Nov2!AA32)

As the month progresses a new sheet is added, i.e. I copy the last
sheet, say Nov2 and get Nov2(1)
I rename it to Nov3 and now I have to go to cell AA32!Nov3 and edit Nov2
in the average formula
to Nov3

Is there a way to get the name of an active sheet without using VBA?

Tanks in advance,
/mark

--

Dave Peterson

Mark Dvorkin

Dave,
thanks for the suggestion. Interesting technique ...
as usually I learned something new again.