Andrew

Default dividing columns

When I enter a number starting with zero ( 0 ), into a cell in Excel and
I want the zero to remain in position, I format the cells as text, next
I select Data and then Text to Column. When I do text to columns the
zero gets dropped. Example: 02J, 08M, etc, after the column is divided,
the first column will read 2 and the second column will read J, I need
it to read 02 in the first column and J in the second column.
The numbers that read 29J, 78M etc, they divide okay, they will divide
and remain the way I need them to read as 29 in the first column and J
in the second column. I should be able to enter a formula or tell it to
keep the zero in position.
Andrew

Andrew wrote:

When I enter a number starting with zero ( 0 ), into a cell in Excel and
I want the zero to remain in position, I format the cells as text, next
I select Data and then Text to Column. When I do text to columns the
zero gets dropped. Example: 02J, 08M, etc, after the column is divided,
the first column will read 2 and the second column will read J, I need
it to read 02 in the first column and J in the second column.
The numbers that read 29J, 78M etc, they divide okay, they will divide
and remain the way I need them to read as 29 in the first column and J
in the second column. I should be able to enter a formula or tell it to
keep the zero in position.

I forgot to mention this is Excel 2002.
Biff

Hi!