DTOLLEN

Default Is there a formula in Excel to calculate a loan amount?

Is there a formula in Excel to calculate a loan amount if you give the rate,
payment and term?
Bernard Liengme

Yes, it is the PV function

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"DTOLLEN" wrote in message
Is there a formula in Excel to calculate a loan amount if you give the
rate,
payment and term?

bpeltzer

Check the PV function. You'd set the FV argument to 0, and multiply the
result by -1. Also, be sure to adjust the rate and term to match the
payments (ex: if you are using the MONTHLY payment amount, your rate would be
the annual rate/12 and the term would be the number of years * 12).
--Bruce

"DTOLLEN" wrote:

Is there a formula in Excel to calculate a loan amount if you give the rate,
payment and term?

DTOLLEN

Bruce - can you type out a sample formula for me? I think I am missing
something. An example - 30 yr loan, 6.0 rate, 877.01 pmt. On my HP
calculator, I get something in the neighborhood of $146000. Thanks for your
help.