-   -   Vlookup using text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/53235-vlookup-using-text.html)

gersumabat

Vlookup using text

Does Vlookup match text exactly? In other words if I have part number that's
got -, and alphanumeric characters, can Vlookup function in the table? If
not, is there a workaround. I currently have a spreadsheet formatted as text
and keep getting the #NA error even though I can do a manual search and find
matches.

Anne Troy

Vlookup using text

Likely, your range to look in is incorrect. Usual syntax:
=vlookup(a1,sheetname!$A$1:$D:$500,false)
You need the false if the column in your lookup range is not sorted.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"gersumabat" wrote in message
Does Vlookup match text exactly? In other words if I have part number
that's
got -, and alphanumeric characters, can Vlookup function in the table? If
not, is there a workaround. I currently have a spreadsheet formatted as
text
and keep getting the #NA error even though I can do a manual search and
find
matches.

Bob Phillips

Vlookup using text

Is the data sorted? If so, add ,False at the end

=VLOOKUP(value,lookup_table,col, False)

--

HTH

RP