-   -   How do I show the contents of a dropdown without showing the box? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/52162-how-do-i-show-contents-dropdown-without-showing-box.html)

Dropdown despair!

How do I show the contents of a dropdown without showing the box?

Please help
I am currently completing an invoicing spreadsheet which contain dropdowns.
As the person that originally created the document has left the business I
have no one else to ask. I can create drop downs with only one problem, the
selected value within the drop down does not print. Ideally I would like to
show the drop down on screen, print the selected content but not the box or
dropdown arrow.

Can anyone help and let me know what I'm doing wrong.

arno

How do I show the contents of a dropdown without showing the box?

Hi,

Ideally I would like to show the drop down on screen,
print the selected content but not the box or dropdown arrow.

do not print the dropdown. "calculate" the selected value and write it
into a cell that will be printed.

what I usually do is the following: at the top of every data source of
a dropdown I have two cells - "selected item no." and "item". selected
item no. is filled when you change the value of the dropown, it's a
feature of the dropdown menu, it will be 1,2,3...whatever. "item" is
the corresponding entry. It would look like this:

John <== Formula you need, cell A1: =offset(a3,A2,0,1,1)
3 <== selected item no., Cell A2
MyFriends (Cell A3, Just a headline)
Jim
Jane