Marco

Default how to find and add multiple entries

I have a matrix with two columns. The first column contains names while the
second contains values. I would like to sum all values that matche the string
in the first column, so for example
A B

and the matching string is Alex, the returning valus is 280

thanks
Domenic

Try...

=SUMIF(A1:A4,"Alex",B1:B4)

or

=SUMIF(A1:A4,D1,B1:B4)

....where D1 contains your criterion, such as 'Alex'.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Marco" wrote:

I have a matrix with two columns. The first column contains names while the
second contains values. I would like to sum all values that matche the string
in the first column, so for example
A B

and the matching string is Alex, the returning valus is 280

thanks

JRod

Hi, Marco,
Try: =SUMPRODUCT(((A1:A4)="Alex")*(B1:B4))
Regards.

--
JRod
Microsoft MVP - Excel