Phil

Default Need help with TRIM function

Hello,

I have a table with these values, some of which are INVALID.

0120120001 VALID
0000212462 INVALID
0150214785 VALID
04874A1234 VALID
0005421424 INVALID
00000A1240 INVALID
0014A27870 INVALID

As you can see, from above:
1 - There are values that are only numeric.
2 - There are ALSO values that are BOTH numeric and text.
3 - You will also notice that there is a only ONE type of pattern in these
numbers and that is with the numbers that begin with a 0 (zero), then have 9
numbers following, eg 04874A1234.
4 - To clarify, I have indicated which are the VALID and INVALID values,
please disregard the mentioning of the actual VALID and INVALID text, it is
NOT in the datasets.

I need to run a TRIM function that will:
a) disregard any values that are VALID,
b) trim off ALL of the leading zeros EXCEPT the last zero in ANY of the
INVALID's.

How can this be done?

BTW, since I will be importing this into Access, and Access DOES NOT like
mixed datatypes, ALL of the values will need to be TEXT (or should they be
GENERAL?).

TIA for your replies.

Phil.
Anne Troy

=if(b2="valid",a2,trim(b2))
Then, custom format the column that contains this formula as 0000000
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Joe Mac

Assuming that you only want to have the VALID values from your table, which
contain a numeric, and you want to strip the leading zeros from the 9 digit
number so that the following would be true - the (9) digit numeric 012012000
would end up as an (8) digit numeric of 12012000...

You can use the following formula to produce a table that you can either
filter or place into a pivot table to isolate your "VALID" entries...
=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(A4)),,VALUE(A4))
What this will do is to produce a numeric entry without leading zeroes and
produce a "0" entry from the list for those that are alpha/numeric...

--
Thanks for your help -
Joe Mac

"Phil" wrote:

[...]

Harlan Grove

Anne Troy wrote...
=if(b2="valid",a2,trim(b2))
Then, custom format the column that contains this formula as 0000000

You should know better. Number formats don't affect text values (well,
the 4th part of a #;#;#;# format does, but Excel won't accept 0000000
as the 4th part of a custom number format).

If the OP is seeing entries with leading zeros, then either those
entries must be text, so unaffected by number formatting, or numbers
with a custom number format already applied.

You failed to notice the OP's statement that the VALID/INVALID
indicators aren't in the dataset, but were included only to show which
entries were valid and which weren't.

You also failed to notice that OP's ultimate target for this data is
Access, and Access does squat all with Excel custom number formats.

And since when has Excel's TRIM function removed any character other
than the ASCII space character? Looks like the OP wants to remove
zeros. [Looks like you need to spend more time reading postings more
carefully.]

"Phil" wrote in message

I have a table with these values, some of which are INVALID.

0120120001 VALID
0000212462 INVALID
0150214785 VALID
04874A1234 VALID
0005421424 INVALID
00000A1240 INVALID
0014A27870 INVALID

As you can see, from above:
1 - There are values that are only numeric.
2 - There are ALSO values that are BOTH numeric and text.
3 - You will also notice that there is a only ONE type of pattern in these
numbers and that is with the numbers that begin with a 0 (zero), then have
9 numbers following, eg 04874A1234.

You mean 9 decimal digits and letters. Any letters or just a few?

In any case, it looks like you mean a *single* leading zero followed by
an alphanumeric character other than zero (or only 1-9?) followed by 8
more alphanumeric characters.

4 - To clarify, I have indicated which are the VALID and INVALID values,
please disregard the mentioning of the actual VALID and INVALID text, it
is NOT in the datasets.

Looks like any entry beginning with 2 or more leading zeros is invalid.
Is that the case? If so, invalid entries X satisfy MID(X,2,1)="0".

I need to run a TRIM function that will:
a) disregard any values that are VALID,
b) trim off ALL of the leading zeros EXCEPT the last zero in ANY of the
INVALID's.

TRIM only removes spaces, not zeros. Using SUBSTITUTE to replace zeros
with spaces then passing the result to TRIM, then using SUBSTITUTE
again to convert the remaining spaces back to zeros would be dangerous
because it'd delete trailing runs of zeros and truncate any inner runs
of zeros.

Should the invalid entries be shortened? That is, should |0000212462|
become |0212462| or do they need to be padded back out to 10
characters? If they only need to be truncated,

=IF(MID(A1,2,1)<"0",A1,
MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,MID(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10},1 )="0",0)-1,10))

If they need to be padded on the right with zeros,

=IF(MID(A1,2,1)<"0",A1,
LEFT(MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,MID(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10},1)="0",0)-1,10)
&"000000000",10))

Harlan Grove

Joe Mac wrote...
Assuming that you only want to have the VALID values from your table, which
contain a numeric, and you want to strip the leading zeros from the 9 digit
number so that the following would be true - the (9) digit numeric 012012000
would end up as an (8) digit numeric of 12012000...

You can use the following formula to produce a table that you can either
filter or place into a pivot table to isolate your "VALID" entries...
=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(A4)),,VALUE(A4))
What this will do is to produce a numeric entry without leading zeroes and
produce a "0" entry from the list for those that are alpha/numeric...

You have stated your assumptions, but the OP's valid entries included

04874A1234 VALID

which isn't numeric. Your formula won't leave it alone, which is one of
the OP's requests.

Harlan Grove

Harlan Grove wrote...
Looks like any entry beginning with 2 or more leading zeros is invalid.
Is that the case? If so, invalid entries X satisfy MID(X,2,1)="0".

Stupid of me. The test for invalidity should be LEFT(X,1)="00".

Which would make the formulas

(truncated)
=IF(LEFT(A1,2)<"00",A1,
MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,MID(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10},1 )="0",0)-1,10))

(padded on the right with zeros)
=IF(LEFT(A1,2)<"00",A1,
LEFT(MID(A1,MATCH(FALSE,MID(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10},1)="0",0)-1,10)
&"000000000",10))

Phil

Hi Anne:

You may have misunderstood me. I just put the words VALID and INVALID in
there to show you all which values where good vs. not good. And I want to
keep any leading zeros.

Thanks.

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

Phil

Hi Joe,

I don't want to remove ALL of the leading zeros. I need to keep only one.
Check back to see my examples in the original post to see what I mean, but
essentially, I want to ignore any of the values that are VALID, such as a
0120120001 value, but I want to go after any ones that are INVALID, such as
0000212462 , and then change it to 0212462. Does that help to explain it
better?

Phil.

"Phil" wrote:

[...]

Anne Troy

I should be strung up by my toes, I suppose.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

ups.com...

"Phil" wrote in message

[...]

Anne Troy

You're right, Phil. I did. I took it to mean it wasn't IN THE CELL with the
number, but of course you said "data set". I just read something different.
LOL!!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM