kynhart

Default Help I Am Ready To Give Up

I have a spreadsheet that I do job costing on and have been using a
calculator to figure out my job costing. Let me give you a sample

A B C D E F

1Hours Rate Total JOB1 JOB 2
2 40 $10 $400 20 20
3
4
5
I NEED TO FIND A FORMULA TO TURN THE 20 HOURS INTO dOLLARS. SOMETIMES
1 PERSON WILL WORK ON 4 OR FIVE DIFFERENT JOBS AND i NEED A MONETARY
VALUE WHERE THE HOURS ARE, SO I HAVE BEEN DOING IT MANUALLY I TRIED
DOING B2*E2 AND IT SAYS I HAVE A CIRCULAR SOMETHING, THAN I TRIED
=(B2*E2) i NEED FOR THE HOURS TO TIMES THE RATE TO GIVE ME A DOLLAR
AMOUNT ON d2 AND E2......wHAT AM I DOING WRONG........PLEASE I AM READY
TO SCREAMMMM MMMMMM

--
kynhart
JS2004R6

Hi Kynhart,

You might try something like this:

A B C D E F G
1 Hours Rate Total Job1Hrs Job1Total Job2Hrs Job2Total
2 40 $10 $400 20 $200 20 $200

Cell A2 Formula:
=Sum(D2+F2)

Cell C2 Formula:
=Sum(E2+G2)

Cell E2 Formula:
=D2*B2

Cell G2 Formula:
=F2*B2

Then you only need to enter values into Column B (Rate), Column D (Job1
Hours) and Column F (Job2 Hours).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
James

"kynhart" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I do job costing on and have been using a
calculator to figure out my job costing. Let me give you a sample

A B C D E F

1Hours Rate Total JOB1 JOB 2
2 40 $10 $400 20 20
3
4
5
I NEED TO FIND A FORMULA TO TURN THE 20 HOURS INTO dOLLARS. SOMETIMES
1 PERSON WILL WORK ON 4 OR FIVE DIFFERENT JOBS AND i NEED A MONETARY
VALUE WHERE THE HOURS ARE, SO I HAVE BEEN DOING IT MANUALLY I TRIED
DOING B2*E2 AND IT SAYS I HAVE A CIRCULAR SOMETHING, THAN I TRIED
=(B2*E2) i NEED FOR THE HOURS TO TIMES THE RATE TO GIVE ME A DOLLAR
AMOUNT ON d2 AND E2......wHAT AM I DOING WRONG........PLEASE I AM READY
TO SCREAMMMM MMMMMM

--
kynhart

bpeltzer

If you were getting a circular reference error, you probably tried
calculating the $ in the same cells where you had the hours. I'd suggest
that you have a set of columns for hours per job (say D:H for job1 through
job5) and a separate set of columns (say I:M) for dollars per job. Then your
logic would be fine. The $ for job1 would be calculated by a formula in I2:
=$B2*D2. You could copy that formula across (for each job) and down (for
each employee or time period).
HTH. --Bruce

"kynhart" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I do job costing on and have been using a
calculator to figure out my job costing. Let me give you a sample

A B C D E F

1Hours Rate Total JOB1 JOB 2
2 40 $10 $400 20 20
3
4
5
I NEED TO FIND A FORMULA TO TURN THE 20 HOURS INTO dOLLARS. SOMETIMES
1 PERSON WILL WORK ON 4 OR FIVE DIFFERENT JOBS AND i NEED A MONETARY
VALUE WHERE THE HOURS ARE, SO I HAVE BEEN DOING IT MANUALLY I TRIED
DOING B2*E2 AND IT SAYS I HAVE A CIRCULAR SOMETHING, THAN I TRIED
=(B2*E2) i NEED FOR THE HOURS TO TIMES THE RATE TO GIVE ME A DOLLAR
AMOUNT ON d2 AND E2......wHAT AM I DOING WRONG........PLEASE I AM READY
TO SCREAMMMM MMMMMM

--
kynhart

JMB

=(B2*E2)

must be entered in a cell other than B2 or E2. I suggest setting up new
columns for Job1 and Job2 cost and try your formula again.