Bob Phillips

Default function please

Didn't you ask this question yesterday and get a response?

--

HTH

RP

"JG" wrote in message
little help, thanks

I have a column with street addresses, the street numbers are
separated by one space from the street name.
I would like to cut the numbers (1 to maybe a high of 1900) and paste
the street numbers to an adjoining column.

I'll have to start reading Excel books. any recommendations. thanks
again

Anne Troy

Nothing goes between the quotes. What the formula is doing is finding all
the characters before a space. The " " represents the space.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JG" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:15:22 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
wrote:

Didn't you ask this question yesterday and get a response?

Yes bob, i asked but not in this ng. it was m.p.e.

not very good at this. your reply was

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",a2)-1)

A2, i assume is the cell? tried that.

what goes between the quotation marks?

anyway i tried it, could get it to work

Roger Govier

Hi

Make a copy of your file before you start in case things go wrong.

In cell A1 enter
=LEFT(B1,FIND(" ",B1)-1)

In cell C1 enter
=MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1)+1,255)

Copy the formulae down columns B and C as far as required.
Then, Copy the whole of column A, select cell A1, Paste SpecialValues.
Copy column C, select cell C1, Paste SpecialValues.

You can then delete column B, and you will have house numbers in A, and
Street names in B.

Regards

Roger Govier

JG wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:14:37 -0400, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

Nothing goes between the quotes. What the formula is doing is finding all
the characters before a space. The " " represents the space.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Anne this is what i have.

A1 and C1 are emty. i would like to move the numbers to column A
thanks

A B C
1 640 River Rd

2 628 River Rd

3 622 River Rd

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM
Find a Function to use accross different worksheets R. Hale Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 25th 04 07:07 AM