Julie Quass

Default Linking error

I am linking information between workbooks and using the following formula to
get my desired result:

=MID(CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference),FIND("[",CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference)+1,4)

I got the results I was looking for, saved the file and then closed it.
When I reopened the file, regarless of whether or not I updated the links, my
results all turned to #N/A. What am I doing wrong or what needs to be
changed?

Thanks for your help!

pdberger

Two things to check:

* Is your other file -- the source file from which you're extracting info
-- open? It has to be open or this file can't extract info.
* Have you inadvertently moved your other, source file?

"Julie Quass" wrote:

I am linking information between workbooks and using the following formula to
get my desired result:

=MID(CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference),FIND("[",CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference)+1,4)

I got the results I was looking for, saved the file and then closed it.
When I reopened the file, regarless of whether or not I updated the links, my
results all turned to #N/A. What am I doing wrong or what needs to be
changed?

Thanks for your help!

pdberger

Is it that you don't want to open it, or don't know how? If it's that you
don't want to open it, I'm not sure how to get around that problem. I
suppose you could write some VBA code that would open the other workbook,
update the data, and then close it again. That would be a question for the
VBA gurus in the 'Excel programming' group.

If you don't know how, just do what you normally would -- twice. FileOpen
1st file name. Once the first file is open, do it again: FileOpen 2nd
file name. You'll find it works better if you open the other, source
workbook first so that it's open when the 2nd workbook calls for information.

hth

"Julie Quass" wrote:

I am linking information between workbooks and using the following formula to
get my desired result:

=MID(CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference),FIND("[",CELL("filename",'filepath[file.xls]sheet.reference)+1,4)

I got the results I was looking for, saved the file and then closed it.
When I reopened the file, regarless of whether or not I updated the links, my
results all turned to #N/A. What am I doing wrong or what needs to be
changed?

Thanks for your help!

Julie Quass

Thanks - unfortunately (for me) it is that I don't want to open the files. I
just want the file info if I should add more information to my table (via
copy/ insert copied row, update link). I'm not much for VBA.....

Thanks for your help!