miwarren

Default linking file equation...

Bare with me as I try to explain this.

I am working with an equation like the one below.

=[648455.xls]Sumbit!$L$9

I need a formula that will look in a cell to get the beginning number
for the equation.

Example

Say the number 648455 is in cell C75, I in turn need it to take the
number from cell C75 and place it in the equation as seen above and
then process that equation. I am not sure if excel can do this, or if
I will have to use a macro. You guys always seem to have the solution
so I figured I would bounce off you.

Please let me know if you need more info on what I need if this is not
clear.

Thanks so much for you help.

Mike (Nashville)

--
miwarren
miwarren's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24682

Anne Troy

You need INDIRECT, I think.
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...ft_excel.h tm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"miwarren" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Ralph

So the worksheets are not in the same workbook and are saved as individual
files, right? I don't think the indirect function works here. I too am
searching for a way to do this, if you find one let me know and I will do
same.

"miwarren" wrote:

[...]

Harlan Grove

Ralph wrote...
So the worksheets are not in the same workbook and are saved as individual
files, right? . . .

Look at the OP's sample formula,

=[648455.xls]Sumbit!$L$9

Workbook and worksheet names differ, so the syntax is the same as if
the workbook contained multiple worksheets.

. . . I don't think the indirect function works here. I too am
searching for a way to do this, if you find one let me know and I will do
same.

If the workbook is open, INDIRECT does work for this. It's only when
the other workbook is closed that INDIRECT doesn't work. In that case,
see

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=hk...wsranger.c om

Ralph

I see a cell formula:
="='C:\Temp\[basefilename"&Text(Today(),"yymmdd")&".xls]Sheet1'!$A$1"
but I want to reference one folder as "A23" and the file as "B23".xls. then
when I pull the formula down my column I hope it will change the folder and
file to the values in the A and B columns. still not clear to me :(

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Ralph wrote...
So the worksheets are not in the same workbook and are saved as individual
files, right? . . .

Look at the OP's sample formula,

=[648455.xls]Sumbit!$L$9

Workbook and worksheet names differ, so the syntax is the same as if
the workbook contained multiple worksheets.

. . . I don't think the indirect function works here. I too am
searching for a way to do this, if you find one let me know and I will do
same.

If the workbook is open, INDIRECT does work for this. It's only when
the other workbook is closed that INDIRECT doesn't work. In that case,
see

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=hk...wsranger.c om

Harlan Grove

Ralph wrote...
I see a cell formula:
="='C:\Temp\[basefilename"&Text(Today(),"yymmdd")&".xls]Sheet1'!$A$1"
but I want to reference one folder as "A23" and the file as "B23".xls. then
when I pull the formula down my column I hope it will change the folder and
file to the values in the A and B columns. still not clear to me :(

Adapt the formula.

="='"&A23&"\["&B23&".xls]"&<sheet and range address here)