Junior Member

Default Date Count

Please help, I know this is probably a really quite simple function but i have been puzzling over this for couple of hours now.

I am trying to work out the formula that will provide the number of days between two different dates for example 10/01/2005 - 10/13/2005 = ## days (american date format). If anyone could provide assistance that would be great and save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks

Shoulders
Stefi

Assuming date1 in cell A1 < date2 in cell A2

the difference in A3: =A2-A1
then format A3 as General

Stefi

--
shoulders

Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:12:25 +0100, shoulders
wrote:

Please help, I know this is probably a really quite simple function but
i have been puzzling over this for couple of hours now.

I am trying to work out the formula that will provide the number of
days between two different dates for example 10/01/2005 - 10/13/2005 =
## days (american date format). If anyone could provide assistance that
would be great and save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks

Shoulders

If your first date is in A1; and your later date is in A2, then the formula is:

=A2-A1 (format as General or Number)

Excel stores dates as serial numbers starting with 1/1/1900. So to get the
number of days between dates, you merely need to subtract one from the other.

--ron
Lenny

DATEDIF (StartDate,EndDate,"D"). The third argument of the function "D"
returns the number of Days between StartDate and EndDate.

=DATEDIF(A2,A3,"D")

other options "y" Year, "m" Month

Lenny

Jon Quixley

Shoulders,

Set a formula to subtract the dates as if they were numbers =A2-A1 for
instance. The Date Time setup in your control panel will have to be set
to the US format so the computer understands that there are not 13
months in the year. Once you're done that the format of the cell that
contains the answer will have to be formatted to number (not days else
it won't count over 30 days)

Regards

--
Jon Quixley