lucent88

Default how to delete duplicated content from 2 cells

Hi everyone,

this is my first time to this forum, looks like there are alot of
information on this site, but I can't seem to find my solutions, see if
anyone can hlep me out here.

I was just wonder is there a formula that i can instantly delete the
duplicated contents from 2 cells.

example.

A1 _Honda_Civic_ B1 _Civic_

I want a formula for C1 to show _Honda_

Because Civic is the duplicated content between these 2 cells.

Is there a way to do it?

--
lucent88
lucent88's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28049

Richard Buttrey

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:24:18 -0500, lucent88
wrote:

Hi everyone,

this is my first time to this forum, looks like there are alot of
information on this site, but I can't seem to find my solutions, see if
anyone can hlep me out here.

I was just wonder is there a formula that i can instantly delete the
duplicated contents from 2 cells.

example.

A1 _Honda_Civic_ B1 _Civic_

I want a formula for C1 to show _Honda_

Because Civic is the duplicated content between these 2 cells.

Is there a way to do it?

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-(FIND(B1,A1)-1))

Arguably the duplicated content is _Civic_ and the unique bit would
therefore be _Honda

in which case the formula would be

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(B1,A1))

That will handle the example you quote, but how would you want to
handle say:

A1 Honda_Civic_AAA
B1 _Civic_

would you expect
_HondaAAA

Post back with further examples if necessary.

Rgds
__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK