Upya

Default Case Sensitivity problem with data validation

Hi there,

I have a slight problem that I hope you may be able to help me with.

I am trying to perform date validation to some cells in a worksheet, so
it will only allow me to enter certain information and will give a
warning message if I enter data not in the range that I specify.

The data range I wish to allow is 1, 2 or X.

I have entered these values into my worksheet and used the list
function within data validation to highlight these values.

My problem is that everything seems to work fine (if I enter 1, 2 or X
in the field it allows it and if I enter any other data, 3 for example
I get the warning message), however if I enter a lower case x - it
allows this and I get no warning message.

It is important that the information I enter is case sensitive as said
fields are also used with an EXACT command which is case sensitive and
the whole reason I want to use data validation is that I often enter a
lower case x into the work sheet instead of a upper case X and I want
the worksheet to not allow this and provide me with a warning.

So does anyone have any idea of how I can make the data validation case
sensitive?

Thanks for your help in advance

--
Upya
Upya's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27889

Debra Dalgleish

Instead of using a list from the worksheet, you could type the list in
the data validation dialog box.

Upya wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Upya

Thanks for you response,

Someone told me data validation was case sensitive by default, but I
couldn't work it out for love or money.

So I just spent 3 hours working out how to change in VBE to make text
in given cells automatically upper case.

Only to read your response to find out that if I typed the 3 variables
seperated by a comma instead of highlighting my list, it would be case
sensitive (when highlighting a list or using a defined name list - it
was not case sensitive).

Oh well, it was fun trying to figure it out, hehehe

Thanks again for your help :D