MT1

Default Help on creating a linked workbook.

Hello:

Before I drive myself nuts building this workbook, I need to find out
if it's doable. I appreciate any help or suggestions offered.

We have a spreadsheet at work that is used to track pickup/delivery
charges. Initially, someone enters the estimated costs and route
information on a daily basis. The spreadsheet is very large -- hundreds
of rows and 40 or so columns. Throughout the month, another person
copies and pastes each of these rows into another spreadsheet as the
actual charges come in and notates the sheet accordingly. At the end of
the month, the person who enters the actuals, prepares it for month end
accruals. A new spreadsheet is then started for the new month.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is it possible to have 1 workbook that can be utilized by each of
these employees? Perhaps there could be 2 sheets -- sheet 1 being the
Master trace sheet which lists estimated costs, trip numbers and other
pertinent info, and sheet 2 listing SOME of the pertinent info plus the
actuals costs. I would like some of the information entered into the
Master (such as the pertinent information) to automatically transfer to
the second one as it is entered. I do not need ALL of the information
that is entered in sheet 1 to appear in sheet 2. Only certains columns
need to transfer/link. At which point the second person would track the
trip# and enter the actual costs. At the end of the month, I could set
up a third sheet to summarize what I need to accrue at month end by
link. As it stands now, we are working with 2 sheets and the 2nd person
has to copy and paste whatever the 1st person enters. This is bizare and
time consuming. I have linked cells to seperate worksheets when
summerizing, but nothing like this.

2.) Also, can 1 sheet in a workbook be password protected while another
is not?

Thank you,
Mary

--
MT1
MT1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27859

paul

your second sheet can have as much or as little of the information from sheet
1 as you wish,in fact every thing but the cost.....and you can protect one
sheet and not the other,and once you have got this set up you can use it over
and over again.Put a lot of thought into this before you do it,once you get
going on these the possibilities seem to increase for a start you can have a
cell that shows the difference between estimate and actual.......it begins ;)
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"MT1" wrote:

[...]

wbeaumont

I have the exact same situation here. The objective is to key data into
one workbook and have certain cells both keyed and calculated update
completely different cells in another workbook. I am studying this now
but don't have alot of time to devote to this gotta have it done
yesterday project. Can you help get me started? How do you link 2
workbooks in the first place? I will be glad to pass on new
discoveries on my end if you do the same.

--
wbeaumont
wbeaumont's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27868