Matt Cromer

Default Using Order in Excel Pivot Tables

Is there an easier way to use the Order function in Pivot Tables. Order,
Move Up/Move Down/Beginning...seems very awkward. The fields that I have
cannot be sorted ascending the traditional way, so I have to order them
manually. Are there any hot keys, or other ways to order??

Thanks!

Matt
Debra Dalgleish

Select a cell in the row or column area
Point to its border, and drag it to a different position in the list

Or, you could create a custom list, and base the sort on that:

In a cell on a blank worksheet, type your list, then select it
Choose ToolsOptions
Select the Custom Lists tab
Click the Import button, click OK

When you create a new pivot table, items should be in the order of the
custom list.

To sort the items in an existing pivot table, select the field
button, and choose DataSort
Click the Options button, and choose your custom list.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RMF

I am having a similar issue. changing the order via dragging works, but
perhaps there is a easier way for me to order my pivot. I have a data sheet
with dates that are entered in the following format:

dd/hhmm, e.g. 12/0700

Is there a way of sorting this automatically in a pivot? If I would create a
list I would have to enter from 01/0001 until 31/2359 by entering 01/0001,
01/0002, 01/0003 and so on which is of course time consuming.

Is there a solution for this one?

Thnks!

"Matt Cromer" wrote:

Is there an easier way to use the Order function in Pivot Tables. Order,
Move Up/Move Down/Beginning...seems very awkward. The fields that I have
cannot be sorted ascending the traditional way, so I have to order them
manually. Are there any hot keys, or other ways to order??

Thanks!

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You can create a custom list and sort by that list

To create a custom list, type in the list in a range somewhere in a
worksheet, select it and
do toolsoptionscustom lists, click import, in the pivot table select the
field button, do
datasort, select options and your list, click OK

Btw if you type in 12/0700 in a cell it will be seen as text by excel so you
can't do any calculations with these values except counting them

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Matt Cromer" wrote:

Is there an easier way to use the Order function in Pivot Tables. Order,
Move Up/Move Down/Beginning...seems very awkward. The fields that I have
cannot be sorted ascending the traditional way, so I have to order them
manually. Are there any hot keys, or other ways to order??

Thanks!

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

You'd only be able to put a small portion of the items into a custom
list. If they're text items, they should sort automatically when you add
them to the pivot table. If they're formatted dates, you could add a
column to the source table, and covert them to text, e.g.:

=TEXT(A2,"dd/hhmm")

However, if you use all day/hour/minute combinations, you'd exceed the
number of items allowed for a pivot field. There's information on the
limits he

Limits of PivotTables in Excel (Excel 97 - 2000)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=211517

Description of the limits of PivotTable reports in Excel (2002-2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=820742