Bowbender

Default Increasing distance labels using drag down method

Hello All,

Here is what I have to deal with.

I have around 1,200 labels that I don't want to have to type in. I
would like to us the fill down method. The labels will be as
follows...

0.0-0.1mm
0.1-0.2mm
0.2-0.3mm

and so on.

Keep in mind, they are labels and I am not actually subtracting them.
Doing that 1,200 times will not be fun. Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bowbender

bj

the simplest method would be to use a helper column (A:A)
fill it with 0.0 to whatever the highest number is
in your working column (B/)enter in B1
=text(A1,"0.0")&"-"&text(A2,"0,0")&"mm"
copy down as far as you need.
I would then coly the column and paste special values over the top of itself
and then delete the helper column.

"Bowbender" wrote:

Hello All,

Here is what I have to deal with.

I have around 1,200 labels that I don't want to have to type in. I
would like to us the fill down method. The labels will be as
follows...

0.0-0.1mm
0.1-0.2mm
0.2-0.3mm

and so on.

Keep in mind, they are labels and I am not actually subtracting them.
Doing that 1,200 times will not be fun. Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bowbender

Gord Dibben

Bow

I would start out with 2 columns.

A1 enter 0
A2 enter .1

B1 enter .1
B2 enter .2

Both columns formatted as Number and 1 decimal place.

Select A1:B2 and drag/copy down 1200 rows.

In C1 enter =A1 & "-" & B1 & "mm"

Double-click on C1 fill handle to copy down down.

Column C Copypaste specialvaluesOkEsc

Note: Column C will not pick up the formatting from A and B so whole numbers
will show as 0, 1, 2 etc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP