Bill

Default Formulas not recalculating when values change on another sheet

I have an Excel (2002 w/ all ofc. updates installed) workbook with several
sheets. On two of them I have references to cells on other sheets or to a
cell on a range of sheets. MOST OF THE TIME, the only way a cell value will
update on these two "total" sheets is if I click on it, press F2, then press
Enter. SOMETIMES, changing a value on the referenced sheet will cause the
total sheet to change. (Please pardon my shouting). Under Tools...Options,
Automatic Recalculate is checked. Even hitting F9 will not cause the sheet
to recalc. This is driving me crazy--especially since the workbook is all
but useless in this state. Below are examples of two formulas that fail to
recalc. Both have references to other sheets in the workbook. Any ideas?

An example of the first type of formula: =SUM(Julia!B5:B5)
where Julia is the name of another sheet in the same workbook. I tried this
also with just =SUM(Julia!B5) and got the same result. No recalc when B5 on
the Julia sheet changes.

The other failing formula is like this: =SUM(Start:End!E5:E5)
where Start is the first sheet, End is the last, and there are nine sheets
in between, and I want the total of E5 from all the sheets. This so-called
3D formula should work according to the manual, and it does when first
entered, copied, or edited (F2). Otherwise no recalc.

Thanks for any ideas.