Papa Jonah

Default formatting dates

I have some data that was sent to me that needs to be manipulated.

The data includes date/times in a column that I want to reformat into the
date/military time format.

The original spreadsheet had the date time format as custom. When I try to
reformat the cells, the appearance does not change. That is to say that, for
example, a 2:00 PM time still appears that way instead of as 1400.

Any idea why the reformatting of the cells does not appear to be catching on?

TIA for any input.

Anne Troy

Sounds like your data is being seen as text. Force Excel to see the values.
See "Data Isn't Recognized.."
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I have some data that was sent to me that needs to be manipulated.

The data includes date/times in a column that I want to reformat into the
date/military time format.

The original spreadsheet had the date time format as custom. When I try
reformat the cells, the appearance does not change. That is to say that,
for
example, a 2:00 PM time still appears that way instead of as 1400.

Any idea why the reformatting of the cells does not appear to be catching
on?

TIA for any input.

Ann H

Select the cell, go to Format, Cells, Number, custom - scroll down to hh:mm,
that's the one you need. But, in the type box, remove the colon, click OK.
The date will appear as 1400 and not 14:00