sheila

Default finding if name within range

If i have a range, lets name it "Names" and i want to find if the name
George is in that range, what formula should I use?

TIA
sheila
Cutter

Use the COUNTIF() function.

=COUNTIF(Names,"George")

This will give you a count of the number of times George is there.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Anne Troy

Hi, Sheila. You could try something like this:
=if(left(a1,6)="george",True,False)
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"sheila" wrote in message
If i have a range, lets name it "Names" and i want to find if the name
George is in that range, what formula should I use?

TIA
sheila

Vasant Nanavati

I *think* Anne may have misread the question. Try this function:

Function IsGeorgeInThere() As Boolean
Dim c As Range
For Each c In Range("Names").Cells
If c = "George" Then
IsGeorgeInThere = True
Exit Function
End If
Next
End Function

--

Vasant

"sheila" wrote in message
If i have a range, lets name it "Names" and i want to find if the name
George is in that range, what formula should I use?

TIA
sheila

Anne Troy

Well....but... I got PART of it right!! Hee hee...
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"sheila" wrote in message
If i have a range, lets name it "Names" and i want to find if the name
George is in that range, what formula should I use?

TIA
sheila

Vasant Nanavati

Cutter, I think your PC clock may be wrong (or the time zone is incorrectly
set) ...

--

Vasant

"Cutter" wrote in
message ...

Use the COUNTIF() function.

=COUNTIF(Names,"George")

This will give you a count of the number of times George is there.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466975

sheila

Kind of right, but if the name George does appear in the range, I want
that name (George) to appear in the cell that has the formula.

how do i do that?

TIA
sheila

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:34:01 -0400, "Vasant Nanavati" <vasantn AT aol
DOT com wrote:

Cutter, I think your PC clock may be wrong (or the time zone is incorrectly
set) ...

sheila

and i guess i should also add, IF the name George doesnt appear in the
range, then I would like something else searched and used (say
"Harry"),,does that make sense??