Joe Man

Default removing year from date

I have several dates listed as mm/dd/yyyy. How do I remove the year
automaticall from a long list? I do not mean that I want to format the cell
to just show me the month and day, I want to actually remove the year data
from the column not just hide it. Thank you.
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:05:06 -0700, "Joe Man"
wrote:

I have several dates listed as mm/dd/yyyy. How do I remove the year
automaticall from a long list? I do not mean that I want to format the cell
to just show me the month and day, I want to actually remove the year data
from the column not just hide it. Thank you.

If it is going to be a value that Excel recognizes as a date, it must include a
year.

Excel stores dates as serial numbers beginning with 1 = 1/1/1900 (or 1904). So
there is no way to "remove the year" and have Excel still recognize this value
as a "date".

If you just want the Month and Day, and don't want a year in the cell, then you
cannot store it as a serial number and have Excel convert it to a date.

You could change it to a TEXT string of mm/dd:

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd")

--ron