Junior Member

Default Need a function to match unidentical strings

Hi

I'm a first-timer here that couldn't find the answer to his question on Google. I have 1 excel data file that comes from 1 accounting software and another data file from a completly different software. On each there 2 columns : one for the employee name and the other is for the amount of money (1 sheet represents the amount due, the other the amount paid).

The only way to join (later in sql) these 2 sheets is by the employee name but not all the names are writen exactly the same way (although they should...). I wonder if there is a function or another way to take an employee name in one sheet and search for a highly similar match in the name's column of the other sheet with a high degree of certainty.

Ex : In one sheet there would be a "John, Smith" and in the other sheet it would be "Jhon, Smith". Supposing that there are no other John Smith, I need to put the amounts value of one of the sheet as a third column in the other sheet for this employee.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Thank your for your time

LoneTraveler