andrewb91

Default Range of data within a column

I'm trying to figure out a way to highlight the text color in cells that
are out of range. For example, I have column that needs data input
within a range of 1.5 to 3.0 If someone inputs a number outside that
range, I'd like to have the number that was input highlighted and
possibly a small electric shock sent to the keyboard (just kidding).
Is this something that I can do without VB? Can someone please point
me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

--
andrewb91
andrewb91's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27129

Gary''s Student

Yes.

Use Conditional formatting. Pull-down Format Conditional Format
and add your conditions.
--
Gary''s Student

"andrewb91" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way to highlight the text color in cells that
are out of range. For example, I have column that needs data input
within a range of 1.5 to 3.0 If someone inputs a number outside that
range, I'd like to have the number that was input highlighted and
possibly a small electric shock sent to the keyboard (just kidding).
Is this something that I can do without VB? Can someone please point
me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

--
andrewb91
andrewb91's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27129
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466446

Ashish Mathur

There is another way to achieve the desired result.

Press Ctrl+1
Now in custom number format, enter the following

[Red][<1.5]0;[Red][3]0;General

Click OK

Now if you enter moire tna 3 or less than 1.5, the cell becomes red

Regards,

"andrewb91" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way to highlight the text color in cells that
are out of range. For example, I have column that needs data input
within a range of 1.5 to 3.0 If someone inputs a number outside that
range, I'd like to have the number that was input highlighted and
possibly a small electric shock sent to the keyboard (just kidding).
Is this something that I can do without VB? Can someone please point
me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

--
andrewb91
andrewb91's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27129
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466446

andrewb91

That works, perfectly. Thanks for the info

--
andrewb91
andrewb91's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27129
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466446

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:28:29 -0500, andrewb91
wrote:

I'm trying to figure out a way to highlight the text color in cells that
are out of range. For example, I have column that needs data input
within a range of 1.5 to 3.0 If someone inputs a number outside that
range, I'd like to have the number that was input highlighted and
possibly a small electric shock sent to the keyboard (just kidding).
Is this something that I can do without VB? Can someone please point
me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

One other thing you could do is to use Data Validation to restrict the entry
range to that which is valid.

If the user inputs a number outside that range, Data Validation will disallow
that and pop up a warning message. (Perhaps you could key you electric
keyboard shocker to that message).

Data/Validation

Allow: Decimal
Data: Between
Minimum: 1.5
Maximum: 3.0

And you can customize the error message; and also have a balloon popup with
info when the cell is selected.

--ron