Junior Member

Default help!

ok. i need to create a easy way for me to do quote for my company. i have over ten different % increases that need to be applied to the quote. i have the table set up and the cells ready but i need to get the answer to the cells that are going to be linked to the table. so lets say that: A1-A10 is the part, B1-B10 are the prices. lets say in H1 i have the part (the part is a number). in I1 i need the price to be there. i dont know how to do this. any help???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"TYLER BOSSE" wrote:
i need to create a easy way for me to do quote for my company.
i have over ten different % increases that need to be applied
to the quote. i have the table set up and the cells ready but
i need to get the answer to the cells that are going to be
linked to the table. so lets say that: A1-A10 is the part,
B1-B10 are the prices. lets say in H1 i have the part
(the part is a number). in I1 i need the price to be
there. i dont know how to do this. any help???

=VLOOKUP(I1,$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

That looks up I1 in A1:A10 and returns the price from the corresponding cell
in B1:B10.

But you said %increase at first, not price. Not sure if or how that changes
anything.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeu2004[_2_] View Post
"TYLER BOSSE" wrote:
i need to create a easy way for me to do quote for my company.
i have over ten different % increases that need to be applied
to the quote. i have the table set up and the cells ready but
i need to get the answer to the cells that are going to be
linked to the table. so lets say that: A1-A10 is the part,
B1-B10 are the prices. lets say in H1 i have the part
(the part is a number). in I1 i need the price to be
there. i dont know how to do this. any help???

=VLOOKUP(I1,$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

That looks up I1 in A1:A10 and returns the price from the corresponding cell
in B1:B10.

But you said %increase at first, not price. Not sure if or how that changes
anything.

the first cerresponding cell is a price. the following is percentage increase. so that formula worked. now my next question is how do i take the info from the first formula and use another. what i mean is: if A1 is 3 (part) and B1 is $95, then in C1,D1,E1 i have three different classes of the part. i need to be able to say any of the classes and it pull the info from that class only times the information from the cell with the formula i was given above.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--

TYLER BOSSE

You should realize that HELP is a lousy subject line often ignored.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Errata.... I wrote previous:
"TYLER BOSSE" wrote:
lets say that: A1-A10 is the part, B1-B10 are the prices.
lets say in H1 i have the part (the part is a number).
in I1 i need the price to be there.

[....]
=VLOOKUP(I1,$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

I should have written the following __in__ I1:

=VLOOKUP(H1,$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)

Based on your follow-up response, I think you caught my mistake.

But I wanted to correct it for posterity, as well as be sure there is no
misunderstanding with the following.

"TYLER BOSSE" wrote:
my next question is how do i take the info from the first
formula and use another. what i mean is: if A1 is 3 (part)
and B1 is $95, then in C1,D1,E1 i have three different
classes of the part. i need to be able to say any of the
classes and it pull the info from that class only times
the information from the cell with the formula i was given
above.

I am not sure I understand. If H1 contains the part number and I1 contains
the class (1, 2 or 3), then in J1 you can write:

=VLOOKUP(H1,$A$1:$E$10,2,FALSE) * VLOOKUP(H1,$A$1:$E$10,I1+2,FALSE)

(I did not really need to change A1:B10 to A1:E10 in the first VLOOKUP. It
is just a "good practice" that I follow: always specify the __entire__
table, not just the minimum columns needed. That makes it easier to
leverage the VLOOKUP to access other columns, as we did with the second
VLOOKUP.)

If your classes are not 1, 2 and 3, that complicates things. But it is
still doable. If my guess was incorrect, clarify what you mean, and we can
probably provide an adequate solution.