Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Distribution of capital contribution

Lets say there are 10 investors, all contributing a different $ amount. It
is pretty simple to figure out what each individuals percentage is, however
there is always a fly in the ointment.

Distribution is as follows / investor/amount/% (rounded)

a 400 22.73
b 40 2.27
c 35 1.99
d 100 5.68
e 25 1.42
f 50 2.84
g 10 0.57
h 400 22.73
I 400 22.73
j 300 17.05
Total = 1760

The FLY part: investor "a" gets a 15% added share increase because he has
the total loan in his name.
The remaining 9 (b:j) have to share their % to give "a" that increase.

Question, do you just increase "a" $ investment by +15% and reduce all
others by - 15% to get the resulting % distribution OR
do you just add 15% to "a" and reduce the remaining investors percentage by
15%?

OR??? Tx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"wabbleknee" wrote:
Distribution is as follows / investor/amount/% (rounded)
a 400 22.73
b 40 2.27
c 35 1.99
d 100 5.68
e 25 1.42
f 50 2.84
g 10 0.57
h 400 22.73
I 400 22.73
j 300 17.05
Total = 1760

The FLY part: investor "a" gets a 15% added share increase because he has
the total loan in his name.
The remaining 9 (b:j) have to share their % to give "a" that increase.

Question, do you just increase "a" $ investment by +15% and reduce all
others by - 15% to get the resulting % distribution OR
do you just add 15% to "a" and reduce the remaining investors percentage
by 15%?

This is a question that can only be answered by looking at the terms of the
investment. It is not an Excel question.

Absent dispositive information from the investment management, the following
is what "15% share increase" means to me.

Aside.... Presumably, the rounded percentages above are based on the
proration of something, e.g. percentage ownership (after partners).
Ideally, we should work with those numbers, not the rounded percentage. But
given the limited information here....

Of the 1760 shares distributed, investor "a" gets 1760*22.73%*(1+15%), which
is about 460 shares. (You need look at the terms of the investment to see
how shares are rounded.)

The remaining shares, 1760-460 = 1300, should be distributed to the other
investors in proportion of their original percentage to the sum of their
original percentages excluding investor "a".

The other investors' total original percentage is 100%-22.73% = 78.27%.

(Actually, Excel calculates 78.28% rounded for a number of reasons. It
makes no difference once things are rounded.)

So, for example, investor "b" now gets 1300*2.27%/78.27%, which is about 38
shares.

When all is said and done, if we ignore rounding, you will find that the
other investors' percentages of the distribution is reduced by about 4.41%,
and their shares are reduced by about 4.40%.

Thus, we cannot simply subtract 15% from this or that across the board.

Do you need help with the Excel formulas to make these adjustments?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"joeu2004" wrote in message ...

"wabbleknee" wrote:
[...]

Tx Joeu... I realize that it is not an excel question yet, however, I want
to get the method correct first, than I can apply it to use it in an excel
spreadsheet.
I also used the same method as you originally, (1+15%) however You will note
for "a" the adjustment went from 22.73% to 37.68%, adding 14.95%?? directly.
And yes I would need some help on getting this cranked into excel, there
will be similar investments. I am still working on verifying the resulting
percentages, no luck so far.
Here is the before % interest and the " 15% adjusted" % interest.

a 22.73/37.68
b 2.27/1.82
c 1.99/1.59
d 5.68/4.55
e 1.42/1.14
f 2.84/2.77
g 0.57/0.45
h 22.73/18.18
I 22.73/18.18
j 17.05/13.64

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"wabbleknee" wrote:
I realize that it is not an excel question yet,
however, I want to get the method correct first

I cannot say with impunity that I am doing anything "correctly". I have no
professional experience with this.

"wabbleknee" wrote:
Here is the before % interest and the " 15% adjusted" % interest.

Wait a minute: "15% interest" is a lot different from "15% added share
increase" as you wrote before.

As I understood your original posting, the 15% is not an interest per se,
but an agreement of an exchange of "consideration" (in contract terms). "If
you give me a loan, I will give you 15% more in distributions than you
normal share".

Now, I wonder if in order to do the correct calculations, we need more
information, specifically:

1. The monetary __amount__ contributed (invested) by each investor.
2. The monetary __amount__ of __interest__ that investor "a" earned on the
loan.

"wabbleknee" wrote:
I also used the same method as you originally, (1+15%)
however You will note for "a" the adjustment went from
22.73% to 37.68%, adding 14.95%?? directly.

[....]
a 22.73/37.68
b 2.27/1.82
c 1.99/1.59
d 5.68/4.55
e 1.42/1.14
f 2.84/2.77
g 0.57/0.45
h 22.73/18.18
I 22.73/18.18
j 17.05/13.64

I get very different percentages. Rather than try to understand how you
might have calculated your adjusted percentages, I suggest that you simply
look at my calculations.

Download my file "cap distrib wabbleknee.xls",
https://www.box.com/s/4gg4n9s16samryn0i95p.

Pay close attention to the cell comments.

I consider the "unrounded" method to be more correct.

But in this case, the "rounded" method does not change things substantially.

Let me know if you have any questions / comments.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Joeu2004, appreciate the worksheet, I did similar but used up more of my
spreadsheet :-).
Not that it matters, but all the $ amounts were X1000.
I was asked to re-construct the method to determine the % agreed to.
The original data (adjusted %'s were in writing on the document) and agreed
to by all party's.
I personally do not think it was done correctly, at least from a normal
distribution standpoint, but it was agreed to and signed.
Really appreciate the work sheet, I agree with your comments and I learned a
lot by your formula method.
Tx Mike.