Default counting unique values and matching to quantities

I have a situation where I need to pull information out of a
spreadsheet and consolidate it into groups of unique values. In this
case, one column indicates a specifc length (in feet) and another
indicates the quantities of those lengths (ie: 5 pieces @ 3 feet).
Right now, I am using the COUNTIF function to pull out what the unique
lengths are but I cannot figure out a way to correlate them to their
respective quantities.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch...

Gary''s Student

A very easy approach is to use a Pivot Table. Suppose your data looks like:

quan board length
5 3
8 3
2 2

Pull-down Data Pivot Table Report

Let the Wizard guide you. Click Layout when this appears as an option.
Drag board length to the Row area and quan to the Data area. Then click it
to change Count to Sum. The following should result:

board length Total
2 2
3 13
Grand Total 15