Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Countif formula perhaps

Excel 2010

Whe

Data1 is a named range of nine cells. The values in each cell of Data1 will always be 1 to 9 or a combination of numbers 1 to 9 and each cell will have no duplicates. And each cell could have just 1 number or perhaps three or all 9.

P1 is a cell with a Data Validation drop down list of numbers 1 to 9.

In a separate cell I have used =COUNTIF(Data1,P1) to count the number times the P1 value occurs in Data1. It does not work.

Can you suggest a formula to do this?

Thanks.
Regards,
Howard

Senior Member

Have a look at the attachment. Is this what you mean?

I cannot take credit for the formula. I pinched it from another forum and adapted it to your needs.

Worth pointing out that in your example above, there are not 5 instances of 4, but rather 6 :)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Howard Example.zip (7.5 KB, 29 views)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Howard

Well that paints a different picture in that you are wanting to count
specifically, the matching numerals within a group of numbers.

This would require the combination use of possibly MID, LEN, MATCH,
INDIRECT, essentially a fairly complex formula of which is beyond my
level of expertise I'm afraid.

Good luck

Mick.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:36:59 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

Whoops, six is the correct numbrer, I missed one!

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a go.

Regards,
Howard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:36:59 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
Excel 2010

Whe

Data1 is a named range of nine cells. The values in each cell of Data1 will always be 1 to 9 or a combination of numbers 1 to 9 and each cell will have no duplicates. And each cell could have just 1 number or perhaps three or all 9.

P1 is a cell with a Data Validation drop down list of numbers 1 to 9.

In a separate cell I have used =COUNTIF(Data1,P1) to count the number times the P1 value occurs in Data1. It does not work.

Can you suggest a formula to do this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Howard