Junior Member

Unhappy AutoPopulate DATE in Excel

When I enter info into one cell, I want the date to populate in another. And stay. Like when one thing gets signed off I want the Date of the signature happening.

Is there a way to do this WITHOUT using a Macro? As I need the file saved on a shared drive, and for some reason I cannot get the file to save with a Macro.... =[

Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default AutoPopulate DATE in Excel

When I enter info into one cell, I want the date to populate in another.
And stay. Like when one thing gets signed off I want the Date of the
signature happening.

Is there a way to do this WITHOUT using a Macro?

This seems to work with Excel 2003.

First, permit circular references by checking the box at:
Tools Options Calculation Iteration

Start with all cells empty.

In B1 put
=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",NOW(),B1))
and copy down if needed. Format column B as desired; as a date, for example..

Next enter a value into column A next to one of the formulas.

The date (and time, if included in the format) should appear in column B next to the value. What's in column B does not change if the file is saved and re-opened in the future. It also does not change if somebody overwrites a value in column A with something different.

If a column A value is deleted, the corresponding column B cell should become empty too.

Caution: permitting circular references can be risky and is discouraged by many. If somebody later puts a circular reference in the file by mistake, Excel won't catch the error.