Junior Member

Default Function to return the highest combined value of ANY two values in a list?

Good morning,

I have a list of percentage values in a column (totalling 100%). I have to run 3 specific tests against this data set:

1) Find the highest sum total of ANY two values, returning the total and the two values that make up the total.

2) Find the highest sum total of ANY three values, returning the total and the three values that make up the total.

3) Find the highest sum total of ANY four values, returning the total and the four values that make up the total.

Is there a specific function to look at data sets in this way?

Many thanks in advance from a first time poster!
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3dgehog View Post
Good morning,

I have a list of percentage values in a column (totalling 100%). I have to run 3 specific tests against this data set:

1) Find the highest sum total of ANY two values, returning the total and the two values that make up the total.

2) Find the highest sum total of ANY three values, returning the total and the three values that make up the total.

3) Find the highest sum total of ANY four values, returning the total and the four values that make up the total.

Is there a specific function to look at data sets in this way?

Many thanks in advance from a first time poster!
Hi,

Two quick questions need to be answered to be able to reply with a helpful answer.

1) Could any of the percent figured be repeated?

2) Are the percentages whole numbers (1%, 5% 17%) or decimal pointed (1.7%, 3.3%, 22.95732%)?

EDIT: Actually three questions as I just noticed you also posted this in the "Excel Programming" section - 3) Are you looking for a VBA approach to this or a formulaic one?

Last edited by Spencer101 : July 12th 12 at 06:22 PM Reason: Additional info required:
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

Two quick questions need to be answered to be able to reply with a helpful answer.

1) Could any of the percent figured be repeated?

2) Are the percentages whole numbers (1%, 5% 17%) or decimal pointed (1.7%, 3.3%, 22.95732%)?

EDIT: Actually three questions as I just noticed you also posted this in the "Excel Programming" section - 3) Are you looking for a VBA approach to this or a formulaic one?
OK - So I feel completely silly - It was pointed out to me that the ANY two values is irrelevant as you only need to consider the two highes values...

The solution presented is this (and it works just fine):

=sum(large(data,{1,2,3,4}))

Many thanks for your help though!