Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cumulative time calculation in Excel 2003

Hi all

I'm having trouble making my worksheet calculate minutes elapsed.

Presently I have this in A and B , where A is adding cumulatively the
times showing in B :

A B

Mins/Secs Mins/Secs

Total

0.00 2.00
2.00 2.30
4.30 3.00
7.30 3.30
10.60 4.00
14.60 4.30
18.90 5.00
23.90 5.30

Clearly , column A should be round to minutes and seconds and not base
10.

The chart should read like this :

A B

Mins/Secs Mins/Secs

Total

0.00 2.00
2.00 2.30
4.30 3.00
7.30 3.30
11.00 4.00
15.00 4.30
19.30 5.00
24.30 5.30

In column A presently I'm using

=A4+B4

in the first calculation cell and dragging down to make the calculation.

Can someone suggest an alternative formula to have it work out
accumulated minutes and seconds correctly , please?

thanks.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Hayes View Post
[...]

Hi,

I think this is more about data entry and formatting than formulas.

There's nothing wrong with the formula you're using, but try entering the data as 00:00:00 format (with :'s rather than .'s).

You can format the data to "mm:ss" so as not to show the hours if you so desire.

Then you need to decide what you want to data to do if/when if loops past an hour. Will it go back to zero and continue, or just continue past 60 minutes and carry on meaning it could show 72 minutes rather than 1 hour 12 minutes...

Simple to do either way, just depends on what you need.

S.