Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If function across sheets prints value of cell

I am having a problem with this function.

I would like to look up a cell in sheet1
if the cell value is 0 then I would like the cell on sheet2 to read
-----
if the cell value is anything else I would like the value of that cell
to populate the new cell

I have it working halfway with this formula

=IF(Sheet1!C1=0," ","Sheet1!C3")

I get the ----- when I need it but get Sheet1!C3 instead of the value
sheet1 cell C3 contains.

I tried =IF(Sheet1!C1=0," ","=Sheet1!C3") but that didn't work.
i searched the net but couldn't find the answer there either.

Any possible help for a newbie?

All this is to help my cause of generating cleaner code when using
excel data to make a table in an HTML email. When I create the code
Dreamweaver HTML editor will only put borders around cells with values
in them. &nbsp is the value for 'NON BREAKING SPACE' which displays as
a blank.

But I can not get the value of the cell to display if it is not
originally blank on sheet1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sheet1!C3

Not sure exactly what that means. I did try that as the false value
but it just populates that. Not the actual contents of cell C3 on
Sheet1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Monday, May 14, 2012 11:49:16 AM UTC-4, New_to_accounting wrote:

Sheet1!C3

Not sure exactly what that means. I did try that as the false value
but it just populates that. Not the actual contents of cell C3 on
Sheet1

He means you have to remove the quotation marks around the false condition if you want the value to display:

=IF(Sheet1!C1=0," ",Sheet1!C3)

Allan Rogg