Junior Member

Default index,match - how to avoid same lookup when duplicates present

Help. Index, Match is always pulling the first vendor identified. Please see below. I am trying to match Rate1 & Rate 2 to Vendors A,B,C and then pull down the name for each vendor in the Ven1 and Ven2 columns. As you can see Ven2 is pulling down the letter "A" when I would like it to pull down "C".

Ven1 =INDEX($E$2:$G$2,MATCH(A3,$E3:$G3,0))
Ven2 =INDEX($E$2:$G$2,MATCH(B3,$E3:$G3,0))

Rate1 Rate2 Ven1 Ven2 A B C
66 66 A A 66 55 66
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by klk1976 View Post
Help. Index, Match is always pulling the first vendor identified. Please see below. I am trying to match Rate1 & Rate 2 to Vendors A,B,C and then pull down the name for each vendor in the Ven1 and Ven2 columns. As you can see Ven2 is pulling down the letter "A" when I would like it to pull down "C".
Ven1 =INDEX($E$2:$G$2,MATCH(A3,$E3:$G3,0))
Ven2 =INDEX($E$2:$G$2,MATCH(B3,$E3:$G3,0))

Rate1___ Rate2___ Ven1____Ven2____A_______B_______C
_66______66______A________A_____66______55______66
Dear [b]klk1976[/b[, Good Afternoon.

In this case the MATCH function get always the first argument that it found.
And itīs correct.

AS you have duplicated values then it's necessary to create a criteria to solve the draw situation.

Imagine when all the three will have the same value.
Thatīs my opinion.

--Some minutes later------------------------------------------------------

After my answer, I found a topic that can solve your problem.
Take a look at: https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/115054-index-match-how-avoid-same-lookup-when-duplicates-present.html

Good Luck
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Last edited by Mazzaropi : May 2nd 12 at 08:02 PM Reason: Possible solution found