Junior Member

Default difficult VLOOKUP question:

i've been breaking my mind for a couple of days on this problem, no one seems to have found a solution. Please see the attachment.

- in the first tab "1" in the attached xls I have a series of rows, left colum a date and right column a start and end time

- in tab "2" I have another list of values by date and time

- i need to create an output in which for every time range in tab "1", as in example, from 16:11 to 19:37 on the 29/04/2012 , I get the relative rows in tab "2"

In other words, I need to get the values in the colums from B to F" in tab "2" based on the time frames in tab 1, and have them listed in a new tab

can anyone help?? thank you!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip problem.zip (11.3 KB, 46 views)
Junior Member

yep... I thought it was difficult but not impossible.. thanks anyway!
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3appr View Post
yep... I thought it was difficult but not impossible.. thanks anyway!
Perhaps if you gave some more information someone would be able to help.

And of course keep in mind that the talented people on here, who's help you asked for, aren't necessarily on here 24/7, so occasionally a reply can take a little longer than the 30 hours you allowed before giving up!

So the example figures on tab 2 you have filled in, where on tab 1 do they come from?

Are they averages or static figures that are just looked up?

Details like that will make a big difference to how quickly you see a helpful reply...
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Perhaps if you gave some more information someone would be able to help.

And of course keep in mind that the talented people on here, who's help you asked for, aren't necessarily on here 24/7, so occasionally a reply can take a little longer than the 30 hours you allowed before giving up!

So the example figures on tab 2 you have filled in, where on tab 1 do they come from?

Are they averages or static figures that are just looked up?

Details like that will make a big difference to how quickly you see a helpful reply...
Hi Spencer,
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I'm posting the link to download the original file, as it was too large to upload here in the forum,i'm on a vessel and it took ages to upload it, due to the superslow speed :)

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/nsdXSyLrk...52012.rar.html

So here's the explanation: For each day I receive several inputs of listings in time , excel docs, that I have to organize them in one unique result, applying some simple calculations:

My goal is to create one file per day, based on those daily inputs. I copied these different excel docs across and organized them(all stati values, no averages) and pasted in tab "draft" , "pressure" , "raw" ... they are all referenced with different time stamps but on the same day:

draft tab draft is taken at a given random time, i.e. 06.13am, (the only column to consider in the draft tab is "L") so, at 6.13 the draft is -0.295

pressure tab some intervals: for example from 06:21 to 06:52 the pressure is 1019.25 (consider just mean pressure)

raw tab for a whole given day I get a time and a value of tide ( a height)

I created then a "result" tab, (first tab) , where I joined all these inputs:
time and tide are the ones from the raw tab, then the pressure changes according to the interval in "pressure tab" and draft changes according to the interval in "draft tab" , I wasn't able to create a VLOOKUP routine so what I did was to copy across manually the intervals of "pressure" and "draft" into the "result" tab, ordering them according to the timestamp in column A.
So for example, in pressure tab, the value of pressure from 06:21 to 06:52 , is 1019.25 ( to be considered only the mean pressure) so I've manually located this interval in "resluts" tab (columnA) and pasted the value 1019.25 all along the interval 06:21 to 06:52 , which is the same for the whole interval.

... I did the same for draft.

The result is an "adjusted tide" based on some simple formulas, but that's irrelevant.

As you can imagine, the copy and pasting manually from tabs to result is incredibly time consuming....

Do you think that a VLOOKUP could help? or else any input is welcome.

Thanks again in advance!