Junior Member

Default Combine Rows Based on Capitalization

I have text that looks like this:

###

FOUR SCORE and seven years ago
our fathers brought forth on
this continent
A NEW NATION conceived
in liberty and dedicated
to the proposition
that all men are created equal
NOW WE ARE ENGAGED in a great civil war
testing whether that nation
OR ANY NATION
so conceived and so dedicated
can long endure
WE ARE MET ON A GREAT battle-field
of that war

###

There is no regularity to the number of lower-cased rows between the capitalized rows, nor is there any regularity to how many letters are capitalized at the beginning of the capitalized rows. I want the output to look like this, so that Excel combines rows, adding a space at the front and starting a new row when it hits a capital letter:

###

FOUR SCORE and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent
A NEW NATION conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal
NOW WE ARE ENGAGED in a great civil war testing whether that nation
OR ANY NATION so conceived and so dedicated can long endure
WE ARE MET ON A GREAT battle-field of that war

###

And to make things even more complicated, sometimes the lower-cased rows actually start with a single capitalized letter. So really, I want it to start a new row when it hits more than TWO capital letters in a row.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--
dogplayingpoker

Sub insertrowiftwocapletters()
Dim i As Long
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1
If Left(Cells(i, 1), 2) = UCase(Left(Cells(i, 1), 2)) Then
Cells(i, 1) = " " & Cells(i, 1)
Rows(i).Insert
'MsgBox i
End If
Next i
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Guillett[_2_] View Post
[...]

End Sub
Thanks! This did part of what I want, but its not quite there. There is now an empty row before each string of two or more capitalized letters, but it didn't combine the rows. I'd like the output to be such that every single row starts with a string of the all caps text. Right now it shows

AAAAAAAAbbbbbbbbbccccccc
ccccccccccccccvvvvvvvvvv

BBBBBBBBccccffffffgghjjkkkk
ggggggggggggggggggggg
ddddddddddddddddd
eeeeeeeeeee

CCCCCCCCCgggggghhhhhh
ffffffffgfgfg

And I'd like it to look like:

AAAAAAAAbbbbbbbbbcccccccccccccccccccccvvvvvvvvvv
BBBBBBBBccccffffffgghjjkkkkgggggggggggggggggggggdd dddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeee
CCCCCCCCCgggggghhhhhhffffffffgfgfg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:14:32 +0000, dogplayingpoker wrote:

And to make things even more complicated, sometimes the lower-cased rows
actually start with a single capitalized letter. So really, I want it to
start a new row when it hits more than TWO capital letters in a row.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Your request can do with some details.

For example, you write that you want to start a new row only when you have more than TWO capitalized letters in a row, yet your line that starts with:

A NEW NATION conceived in li

only has one capitalized letter followed by a space.

It is also not clear where you want the results to go, or where your source is.

I have made some assumptions:

Your source is in column A, starting with row 1
Your results will go into column B, starting with row 1
You will start a new line if it starts with two consecutive capital letters or a pattern of Capital<spaceCapital

There are some other limits in the code, having to do with size, but I doubt they will cause an issue, given the information you have provided.

To enter this Macro (Sub), <alt-F11 opens the Visual Basic Editor.
Ensure your project is highlighted in the Project Explorer window.
Then, from the top menu, select Insert/Module and
paste the code below into the window that opens.

To use this Macro (Sub), <alt-F8 opens the macro dialog box. Select the macro by name, and <RUN.

Option Explicit
Sub SplitTextAtCaps()
Dim rg As Range, c As Range
Dim rDest As Range
Dim s As String
Dim v As Variant, vSrc As Variant
Dim re As Object
Set rg = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
Set rDest = rg(1, 1).Offset(columnoffset:=1)
vSrc = rg
For Each v In vSrc
s = s & vbLf & v
Next v
s = Mid(s, 2)

Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp")
With re
.Global = True
.Pattern = vbLf & "(?![A-Z]\s?[A-Z])"
End With

s = re.Replace(s, " ")
v = Split(s, vbLf)

rDest.EntireColumn.Clear
Set rDest = rDest.Resize(rowsize:=UBound(v) + 1)
rDest = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(v)

End Sub
==================================
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

Actually, the A as the first didn't pose a problem with the data presented using my macro for the same column.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] View Post
[...]

Worked perfectly. Thank you very very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well done Ron

Gord

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:25:34 +0000, dogplayingpoker
wrote:

'Ron Rosenfeld[_2_ Wrote:
;1600164']On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:14:32 +0000, dogplayingpoker
wrote:
-
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:25:34 +0000, dogplayingpoker wrote:

Worked perfectly. Thank you very very much.

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:09:08 -0700, Gord Dibben wrote:

Well done Ron

Gord

Thanks, Gord
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:54:56 AM UTC-5, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:25:34 +0000, dogplayingpoker wrote:

Worked perfectly. Thank you very very much.

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, mine worked just fine with the sample data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 07:02:19 -0700 (PDT), Don Guillett wrote:

On Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:54:56 AM UTC-5, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:25:34 +0000, dogplayingpoker wrote:

Worked perfectly. Thank you very very much.

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, mine worked just fine with the sample data.

Don,

On my system (W7x64, Excel 2007), copy/pasting the data and your macro, your routine
Inserted a new row prior to any row starting with a capitalized string of words (including prior to the first row)
Did NOT combine the other rows.

So the result I see, after running your macro, which hopefully won't be messed up by the newsreaders:

======================

FOUR SCORE and seven years ago
our fathers brought forth on
this continent

A NEW NATION conceived
in liberty and dedicated
to the proposition
that all men are created equal

NOW WE ARE ENGAGED in a great civil war
testing whether that nation

OR ANY NATION
so conceived and so dedicated
can long endure

WE ARE MET ON A GREAT battle-field
of that war
==========================

In interpreted that what the OP wanted was also to combine the other rows, resulting in:

===============================
FOUR SCORE and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent
A NEW NATION conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal
NOW WE ARE ENGAGED in a great civil war testing whether that nation
OR ANY NATION so conceived and so dedicated can long endure
WE ARE MET ON A GREAT battle-field of that war
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

Ron, You are absolutely correct. I read it wrong. So, still keeping it simple, how about this.

Sub iftwocaplettersbringuprow()
'assumes column A Correct wordwrap if necessary
Dim i As Long
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1
If Left(Cells(i, 1), 2) < UCase(Left(Cells(i, 1), 2)) Then
Cells(i - 1, 1) = Cells(i - 1, 1) & " " & Cells(i, 1)
Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next i
Columns(1).AutoFit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:07:03 -0700 (PDT), Don Guillett wrote:

Ron, You are absolutely correct. I read it wrong.

Something I do all to frequently.

So, still keeping it simple, how about this.

Sub iftwocaplettersbringuprow()
'assumes column A Correct wordwrap if necessary
Dim i As Long
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1
If Left(Cells(i, 1), 2) < UCase(Left(Cells(i, 1), 2)) Then
Cells(i - 1, 1) = Cells(i - 1, 1) & " " & Cells(i, 1)
Rows(i).Delete
End If
Next i
Columns(1).AutoFit
End Sub

That seems to work properly here, Don.

Comment:
Because of an exposure to a rather large dataset, 500,000 rows, I've been trying to use procedures where I do most of the "work" within the macro, rather than repeatedly accessing the worksheet. After setting the range, I read it all into a variant variable, e.g. v = range("TheSourceRange") And then do the work within the array; finally writing the array back to the range, e.g. range("TheDestinationRange") = v. It was much faster on the larger DB compared with processing each row one at a time.

There are some caveats with the technique, as some care needs to be taken if TheSourceRange might be just a single cell; or if the data needs to be transposed and there are more than 2^16 elements in a 1D array.