Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to return mulitple corresponding values

Yes, I'm definitely interested. I know in reality that it can't be unlimited,
but I need at least 10 names appended. I'll also have to figure out how to
move anything over 30 characters to the next line, but first things first.

Can this function handle multiple reoccurring group names (i.e. loop within
a loop)?

group name
marketing mjagger
marketing rthomas
marketing xbono
accounting rcharles
accounting jbrown
hr jmayer
it jjohnson
it bdylan
it jjoplin
it akiedis
it braitt

output:

mjagger^rthomas^xbono
rcharles^jbrown
jmayer
jjohnson^bdylan^jjoplin^akiedis^braitt

The looping seems to be the limitation I'm running into with the index
function or I'm using it incorrectly.

"T. Valko" wrote:

There can be...unlimited names for a group.

Well, that's not good! You have to narrow down "unlimited".

There is a free add-in available that has a function that will do this but
the resulting string is *limited* to no more than 255 characters. So, that
means "tvalko^debih^biff" can't be more than 255 chars.

Are you interested in this?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Melanie" wrote in message
I have reoccuring group names in column A and multiple names (i.e tvalko,
debih, biff, etc.) in column B for each group. There can be one name or
unlimited names for a group. I want to identify the name s for each
different
group and obtain the list on one line (tvalko^debih^biff) with carats as
delimeters.

"T. Valko" wrote:

You need to be more specific and provide some details.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Melanie" wrote in message
I'm also trying to do this. I need to lookup a value in one column that
returns multiple values in the second column, but I want to list it out
with
"^" between the values. I need to do this dynamically for multiple
lookup
values.

Can you help me?

"Biff" wrote:

You can do that, however, since the formula returns possible multiple
results for each lookup value you'd have to use another formula (the
same
one, just change =$A$60 to the next cell reference).

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
I would like to copy down and do this for all the values in the list
not
just
the value from A60

"Biff" wrote:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

Use this:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS($1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

What do you mean?

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
One more question please....

If the fromula:
=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

"Biff" wrote:

You're welcome!

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
That worked...thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Type the formula then, instead of hitting ENTER like you
normally
would,
hold down both the CTRL key AND the SHIFT key then hit ENTER.
When
done
properly Excel will enclose the formula in squihhly braces
{ }.
You
can't
just type these braces in, you MUST use the key combination
produce
them.

If you're still having problems I'll be glad to look at your
file
and
see
if
I can figure it out. Just let me know how to contact you.

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
That still does not work for me. Am I missing something?
I did the key stroke of (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) 1ST
Entered the formula
and I get the VALUE error

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B
contains
the
values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust
suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva"
wrote
in
message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one
column
of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each
row
the
name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple
values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Download and install the free Morefunc.xll add-in from:

http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

Then, based on the sample data you posted...

Assuming this data is in the range A2:B12. You have the unique groups listed
in the range E2:E5.

Enter this array formula** in F2 and copy down to F5:

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(MCONCAT(IF(A$2:A$12=E2,B$2:B$12," ")&" "))," ","^")

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

Use this:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS($1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

What do you mean?

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
One more question please....

If the fromula:
=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

"Biff" wrote:

You're welcome!

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
That worked...thanks

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! That worked! Although, for some reason, it wouldn't let me reference
the unique list (col E) from a pivot table in another worksheet so I
referenced the unique list using = in the same worksheet and for some reason
that worked(?). I'm just happy it works! I've been working on this on-and-off
for a week.

"Biff" wrote:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

Use this:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS($1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

What do you mean?

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
One more question please....

If the fromula:
=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

"Biff" wrote:

You're welcome!

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
That worked...thanks

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

Use this:

=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS($1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

What do you mean?

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in message
One more question please....

If the fromula:
=INDEX($A2:$H15,SMALL(IF($A$2:$A$15=$A$60,ROW($A$2 :$A$15)),ROW(1:1)),5)

can I change $A$2:$A$15=$A$60 to look up a range?

"Biff" wrote:

You're welcome!

Biff

"Debi H" wrote in
message
That worked...thanks

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff

Using below formula and its returning the values not in sequence

=INDEX('Data3-Opp Activities Info'!H$1:H$13,SMALL(IF('Data3-Opp Activities
Info'!A$1:A$13=$J$2,ROW($1:$13)),ROW(1:1)))

is there a way to return the corresponding values in sorted order i.e. w the
most recent activity showing up first?

Thanks you!

--
nikko

"Biff" wrote:

in the formula, it looks like were mutliplying the rng2
valule by the corresponding value in rng3, however
the rng2 value is not a number. it is in most cases
text. not sure if that is the problem.

No, it's not a problem. It's not actually multiplying numbers. It's
multiplying logical tests that return either TRUE or FALSE. For example:

('PO Detail'!B$1:B$500=$B$3)*('PO Detail'!K$1:K$5000)

This will return an array like this:

(TRUE)*(TRUE)
(TRUE)*(FALSE)
(FALSE)*(TRUE)
(FALSE)*(FALSE)

These logicals are multiplied together and result in an array of 1's or 0's
where 1 evalautes to the value_if_true and 0 evaluates to the
value_if_false. The value_if_true is a number from 1 to 500 that's derived
from this expression:

ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS('PO Detail'!B$1:B$500))

When the value_if_true condition is met then the corresponding numbers from
that expression are then passed to the Small function.

..here is my exact formula (Array entered)
=INDEX('PO Detail'!D$1:D$500,SMALL(IF(('PO Detail'!B$1:B$500=$B$3)*('PO
Detail'!K$1:K$5000),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS('PO
Detail'!B$1:B$500)))),ROW('PO
Detail'!B18)))

If you're not using dynamic named ranges then I would "dummy down" this
portion:

ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS('PO Detail'!B$1:B$500))

ROW($1:$500)

You don't actually need the sheet name or the cell references but you'll see
where some people use them just for a better understanding.

Biff

"gfactor" wrote in message
biff,

thanks for your help...getting an error. here is what you recommended:

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF((Rng1=$z$1)*(Rng30),ROW(INDI RECT("1:"&ROWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

..here is my exact formula (Array entered)

=INDEX('PO Detail'!D$1:D$500,SMALL(IF(('PO Detail'!B$1:B$500=$B$3)*('PO
Detail'!K$1:K$5000),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS('PO
Detail'!B$1:B$500)))),ROW('PO
Detail'!B18)))

its still bringing back values from range 2 if range 3 is 0. in the
formula, it looks like were mutliplying the rng2 valule by the
corresponding
value in rng3, however the rng2 value is not a number. it is in most
cases
text. not sure if that is the problem. maybe we can just check to see
if
rng3 is 0? i tried this, but syntax wasn't right. any thoughts?

thanks in advance,

"Biff" wrote:

i only want the result delivered if the value in (rng3) is "0"

Try this: (array entered)

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF((Rng1=$z$1)*(Rng30),ROW(INDI RECT("1:"&ROWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

Biff

"gfactor" wrote in message
biff -

you nailed it kid. got the result i was looking for in terms of being
able
to have a variable length array. here's my next question:

lets assume my formula reads as follows:

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF(Rng1=$z$1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&R OWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

...and my data looks like this:

a(rng2) b(rng1) c (rng4)
1 y1 p1 5
2 x1 p2 1
3 y1 p3 0
4 z1 p4 3
5 q1 p5 4

if my $z$1 value is "y1"...the formula returns 2 data sets:

y1 p1
y1 p3

the thing is, i only want the result delivered if the value in (rng3)
is
"0"

can you help me?

thanks in advance.

"Biff" wrote:

You can use dynamic ranges that automatically adjust as the size of
your
data set changes.

See instructions he

http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Then the formula would be something like this: (array entered)

=INDEX(Rng2,SMALL(IF(Rng1=$D$1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&R OWS(Rng2)))),ROW(A1)))

Biff

"gfactor" wrote in message
Biff,

I'm using your formula:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$190,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$190=$D$1,ROW($ A$1:$A$190)),ROW(A1)))

My question is this: Can the ranges $B$1:$B$190 and A$1:$A$190 be
named
ranges with variable amounts of data? I export data out of our
accounting
and want to use the formula, but the number of data points changes.
It
seems
that the function only works if all the cells between $b$1 and
$b$190
have
data. Am i missing something?

thanks in advance,

greg

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm
looking
up
and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned.

The sheet does not need to be sorted and it doesn't matter if there
are
dupe
return values.

Post the *EXACT* formula that you tried.

I then want to include this
in a weekly dashboard for the 50+ managers i'm monitoring.
have you got anything else?

Pivot table or filter

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in
message
this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm
looking
up
and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned. Otherwise
get
either
incorrect values returned or errors..

basically, i have a sheet listing jobs scheduled by managers. I
want
be
able to look up the manager's name and return a list of all the
job's
scheduled and the dates they were scheduled on. I then want to
include
this
in a weekly dashboard for the 50+ managers i'm monitoring.

Thanks for the response, but have you got anything else?

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the returned values are dates format... & i jus want to return the dates from
oldest to newest...

--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This will extract the dates in ascending order, oldest to newest, that meet
the condition.

I'm leaving out the sheet name so be sure to add it to your formula.

Let's assume you want the results starting in cell X1.

Array entered** :

=SMALL(IF(A$1:A$13=J$2,H$1:H$13),ROWS(X$1:X1))

Copy down until you get #NUM! errors meaning all applicable data has been
extracted.

If you want an error trap:

=IF(ROWS(X$1:X1)<=COUNTIF(A$1:A$13,J$2),SMALL(IF(A $1:A$13=J$2,H$1:H$13),ROWS(X$1:X1)),"")

Copy down until you get blanks meaning all applicable data has been
extracted.

key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order
i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks ... it works perfectly.

Now with the dates returned in ascending order, i'm trying to return the
related activity comments and contact person. however if there are 2 similar
dates with different contact person, the formula does not seen to work ..

desired results
Date Contact Person
25-Mar Peter
25-Mar Alan

formula is returning
Date Contact Person
25-Mar Peter
25-Mar Peter

Formula - (INDEX('Data3-Opp Activities
Info'!$A$1:$J$10000,SMALL(IF('Data3-Opp Activities
Info'!$C$1:$C$10000='Opportunity (3)'!$J$2&H25,ROW('Data3-Opp Activities
Info'!$C$1:$C$10000)),ROW(1:1)),7)))
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order
i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value
i'm
looking
up
and

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

if there are 2 similar dates with different contact person

Ok, it gets complicated!

Here's a small sample file that demonstrates this.

xNikko.xls 17kb

http://cjoint.com/?efhZw8gEFM

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Thanks ... it works perfectly.

Now with the dates returned in ascending order, i'm trying to return the
related activity comments and contact person. however if there are 2
similar
dates with different contact person, the formula does not seen to work ..

desired results
Date Contact Person
25-Mar Peter
25-Mar Alan

formula is returning
Date Contact Person

"T. Valko" wrote:

This will extract the dates in ascending order, oldest to newest, that
meet
the condition.

I'm leaving out the sheet name so be sure to add it to your formula.

Let's assume you want the results starting in cell X1.

Array entered** :

=SMALL(IF(A$1:A$13=J$2,H$1:H$13),ROWS(X$1:X1))

Copy down until you get #NUM! errors meaning all applicable data has been
extracted.

If you want an error trap:

=IF(ROWS(X$1:X1)<=COUNTIF(A$1:A$13,J$2),SMALL(IF(A $1:A$13=J$2,H$1:H$13),ROWS(X$1:X1)),"")

Copy down until you get blanks meaning all applicable data has been
extracted.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT
key then hit ENTER.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order
i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the
value
i'm
looking
up
and

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks ... works perfectly!!! :)
--
nikko

"nikko" wrote in message
Thanks ... it works perfectly.

Now with the dates returned in ascending order, i'm trying to return the
related activity comments and contact person. however if there are 2
similar
dates with different contact person, the formula does not seen to work ..

desired results
Date Contact Person
25-Mar Peter
25-Mar Alan

formula is returning
Date Contact Person

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order
i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Thanks ... works perfectly!!! :)
--
nikko

"nikko" wrote in message
Thanks ... it works perfectly.

Now with the dates returned in ascending order, i'm trying to return
the
related activity comments and contact person. however if there are 2
similar
dates with different contact person, the formula does not seen to work
..

desired results
Date Contact Person
25-Mar Peter
25-Mar Alan

formula is returning
Date Contact Person

"T. Valko" wrote:

Explain what you're wanting to do.

I know what the formula does but what do you mean by: sorted order
i.e.the
most recent activity showing up first?

That sounds to me like you're looking for dates?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"nikko" wrote in message
Sorry .. didnt get wad you mean...
--
nikko

"T. Valko" wrote:

Refresh my memory.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jbf jbf is offline

Hi Biff,

I've read quite a few of the posts on returning multiple corresponding
values but everything is basically over my head. I don't have any training or
exp in this stuff. I've tried to replicate the example at:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...0551033#Remove

I was able to return only one value for ashish 234. I couldn't get the
formula to return 534 or 834. Here's the formula I have.

=INDEX($A$1:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=A10,ROW($A$1:$ A$7)),ROW(1:1)),2)

Even if I get this right, I'm not sure if it is what I need. I have a data
set where one value can have multiple corresponding values. It's not a 1:1
relationship. I want all values returned but only the distinct values. Here's
an example of the data.

Acct Line
1010 12
1010 12
1010 12
1010 12
1010 12
1010 5
1010 7
1010 5
1020 22
1020 13
1030 10

This is what I want the result to look like.

1010 12
5
7
1020 22
13
1030 10

Can you help, please?

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm looking up and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned.

The sheet does not need to be sorted and it doesn't matter if there are dupe
return values.

Post the *EXACT* formula that you tried.

I then want to include this
in a weekly dashboard for the 50+ managers i'm monitoring.
have you got anything else?

Pivot table or filter

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
this formula works if the sheet is sorted by the value i'm looking up and
if
there are no duplicates in the field I want returned. Otherwise i get
either
incorrect values returned or errors..

basically, i have a sheet listing jobs scheduled by managers. I want to

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is what I want the result to look like.
1010 12
5
7
1020 22
13
1030 10

I can get the result to look like this:

1010...5...7...12
1020...13...22
1030...10

Do you want to go with that?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the
values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in
message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

OK....

Assume your data is in the range A2:B12.

Create these named ranges:
InsertNameDefine
Name: Acct
Refers to: =$A$2:$A$12

Name: Line
Refers to: =$B$2:$B$12

List the unique Acct numbers in a range of cells. Assume they're in the
range D2:D4. You can do this several ways: type them in manually, use a
formula, or use the advanced filter to extract the uniques and copy to a new
location.

Enter this array formula** in E2:

=MIN(IF(Acct=D2,Line))

Copy down to D4

Enter this array formula** in F2:

=IF(COLUMNS($E2:F2)<=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(Acct=$D2,Line),Line)),MIN(IF((Acct=$D 2)*(LineE2),Line)),"")

Copy down to F4.

Select the range F2:F4 and copy across until you get a solid column full of
blanks.

key then hit ENTER.

This portion of the formula can be calculation intensive if you have a large
amount of data:

COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(Acct=$D2,Line),Line))

You can place this as a separate formula in a helper cell and then refer to
that cell instead of using it in every formula. That formula returns the
count of unique line numbers per acct. This is used as an error trap so that
when the formula is copied across and as it "runs out of data" it will
return a blank rather than an error.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jbf" wrote in message
Yes...that would be great.

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,

Another approach:
Select a range of 6 rows and 2 columns and array-enter:
=Pfreq(A1:A11,B1:B11)

Pfreq you can find he
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/pfreq.html

Regards,
Bernd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff,

I am following this thread and use your example. My formula is:
{=INDEX(Customer,SMALL(IF(Revenue*$C$3Criteria,RO W(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(Customer)))),ROW(A1)))}

I got what I want, but now I face a new problem. I want those values whose
status is not 'under negotiation'. I tried
{=INDEX(Customer,SMALL(IF((Status<"under
negotiation")*(Revenue*$C$3Criteria),ROW(INDIRECT ("1:"&ROWS(Customer)))),ROW(A1)))}

But was return #N/A. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the
values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in
message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Awesome, I have been searching for this... How do i mod it for to return a -
etc if there is an error. Such as it has checked the list and returned
everything but i have a defined range.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values to
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How about providing some specific details about what you're wanting to do.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The generic method is like this:

=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW($1: $10)),ROW(1:1))),"",INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$ 10=lookup_value,ROW($1:$10)),ROW(1:1))))

However, that's not very efficient or robust. If you provide some details we
can come up with something that's better.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the
values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in
message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
eec eec is offline

is there a way to modify this formula to match 2 values and return multiple
corresponding values? i need column a = x and column b = y and then return
results.

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values to
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i need column a = x and column b = y and then return results.

Return what results? From where?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
eec eec is offline

sorry for the lack of detail. i am pulling info from one worksheet with all
of our invoice information and trying to make a report that only shows the
invoices that match 2 criteria. so if a row of data contains both x and y
then i want it to show on the report. which for now is just a separate tab
in the same workbook. from the previous posts in this string i can pull data
that matches one criteria i just don't know how or if i can expand it to
match two criteria. thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

The basic formula is something like this:

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$10=lookup_value,ROW ($1:$10)),ROW(1:1)))

Then copy down.

Where column A contains the lookup_value and column B contains the values
be returned.

Need more specific details to offer a more robust suggestion.

Biff

"MetricsShiva" wrote in message
i want to look up a name that occurs several times in one column of a
spreadsheet and return corresponding values from each row the name
occurs
on.
Vlookup returns only one value. How can I get multiple values?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a small sample file that demonstrates this.

EEC.xls 19kb

http://cjoint.com/?cdr7UrLcDS

--
Biff