Junior Member

Default Formula

Can anyone assit with a formula for detirmining if a number in a group of 20 is one of the lowest 8. I have been trying "=IF(F1<MEDIAN(F$1:F$20),F1,0)" This seems to give me one of the lowest 10 out of the group of 20.

Thanking you in anticipation

Garry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Garry,

Am Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:12:45 +0000 schrieb Garry Oder:

Can anyone assit with a formula for detirmining if a number in a group
of 20 is one of the lowest 8. I have been trying
"=IF(F1<MEDIAN(F$1:F$20),F1,0)" This seems to give me one of the lowest
10 out of the group of 20.

try:
=IF(RANK(F1,$F$1:$F$20,1)<=8,F1,0)

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Garry Oder" wrote:
Can anyone assit with a formula for detirmining if a
number in a group of 20 is one of the lowest 8.

=IF(F1<=SMALL(F$1:F$20,8),"yes","no")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

PS.... I wrote:
"Garry Oder" wrote:
Can anyone assit with a formula for detirmining if a
number in a group of 20 is one of the lowest 8.

=IF(F1<=SMALL(F$1:F$20,8),"yes","no")

It just occurred to me that you wrote "if a number ... __is__ one of the
lowest 8", not if it fits among the lowest 8.

Try the following normal formula (just press Enter despite the array
constant):

=IF(OR(F1=SMALL(F$1:F$20,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8})),"yes" ,"no")