Linda C.

Default automatic numbering of rows in excel, how to?

How can I set up the first column to automatically number each row as I go
down a list in excel?
Office 2000
Don

Assuming the data will be entered in column B starting in B1 and the data
are numbers. Put this in cell A1 and copy down.

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

If data are text then substatute ISTEXT for ISNUMBER

Don Pistulka

"Linda C." <Linda wrote in message
How can I set up the first column to automatically number each row as I go
down a list in excel?
Office 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This works great, but what if the data can be either numbers or text?

Example:

5444
5445
5446
AXC XSLR
AXC XLLR

"Don" wrote:

Assuming the data will be entered in column B starting in B1 and the data
are numbers. Put this in cell A1 and copy down.

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

If data are text then substatute ISTEXT for ISNUMBER

Don Pistulka

"Linda C." <Linda wrote in message
How can I set up the first column to automatically number each row as I go
down a list in excel?
Office 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What I need
excel to do, is to insert numerical numbering into the cells starting at A19,
the formula in B15 multiples B9, B10 and B13, so whatever is the sum of B15,
I need Excel to start inserting numbers numerically at cell A19 to whatever
the sum of B15 is, so if B15 is 30, I need 1 thur 30 inserted starting at A19
thru A49.

Thanks MJS

"Don" wrote:

Assuming the data will be entered in column B starting in B1 and the data
are numbers. Put this in cell A1 and copy down.

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

If data are text then substatute ISTEXT for ISNUMBER

Don Pistulka

"Linda C." <Linda wrote in message
How can I set up the first column to automatically number each row as I go
down a list in excel?
Office 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put in:
A19: 1
A20: =IF(A19+1B15,"",A19+1)
Copy to A21 and down as far as you will ever need to go. You may want
to alter your print settings after this so it doesn't print the blank
cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 3, 10:19 am, Spiky wrote:
Put in:
A19: 1
A20: =IF(A19+1B15,"",A19+1)
Copy to A21 and down as far as you will ever need to go. You may want
to alter your print settings after this so it doesn't print the blank
cells.

Oops. One change:
A20: =IF(A19+1$B$15,"",A19+1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi I'm using excel 2007 ..

I read this topic but FOR text it is not working =IF(ISTEXT(B1),ROW(),"")

but for numbers it is working =IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

is there anything different for 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It certainly works for me, once can of course change it to either text or
numbers

=IF(LEN(B1)0,ROW(),"")

Peo Sjoblom

"Robi" wrote in message
Hi I'm using excel 2007 ..

I read this topic but FOR text it is not working =IF(ISTEXT(B1),ROW(),"")

but for numbers it is working =IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

is there anything different for 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Peo Sjoblm

every code is working for me.. =IF(LEN(B1)0,ROW(),"")

can help me to say how to add auto number of rows by selecting some rows
which I need to number.. I've 6000 rows.. But they will be numbered by
selecting 200 rows or 300 rows. After 200 they will be counted or number from
1. Is there any way cell selection with mouse and number them?

"Robi" wrote in message
Hi I'm using excel 2007 ..

I read this topic but FOR text it is not working =IF(ISTEXT(B1),ROW(),"")

but for numbers it is working =IF(ISNUMBER(B1),ROW(),"")

is there anything different for 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions