Duffey

Default total a colum using data from another column

In column B I have numbers 1 thou 10. In column C I have different dollar
amounts I want a total of all the ones a total of all the twos etc in
separate total cells e.g. 1 is the code for all the money spent on fuel this
month. 2 is the code for all the money spent on office supplies etc
RagDyer

Say in D1 to D10 you enter the numbers 1 to 10.
Then in E1, enter this formula:

=SUMIF(B:B,D1,C:C)

And copy down to E10.

Column E shows the total of each number in Column D.
--
HTH,

RD

"Duffey" wrote in message
In column B I have numbers 1 thou 10. In column C I have different dollar
amounts I want a total of all the ones a total of all the twos etc in
separate total cells e.g. 1 is the code for all the money spent on fuel

this
month. 2 is the code for all the money spent on office supplies etc

Govind

To count all expense code 1, use

=SUMIF(B:B,1,C:C)

where column B has the codes for expenses and column C has the dollar
value of expenses.

Change the formula to suit other codes.

Regards

Govind.

Duffey wrote:
In column B I have numbers 1 thou 10. In column C I have different dollar
amounts I want a total of all the ones a total of all the twos etc in
separate total cells e.g. 1 is the code for all the money spent on fuel this
month. 2 is the code for all the money spent on office supplies etc

Ashish Mathur

Assuming your worksheet is set up like this. Use the sumif formula

Code Amount
(col A) (Col B)

1 100
2 200
1 300
2 400
3 500
1 600
2 700

1 SUMIF($A$3:$A$9,"1",$B$3:$B$9)
2 SUMIF($A$3:$A$9,"2",$B$3:$B$9)
3 SUMIF($A$3:$A$9,"3",$B$3:$B$9)

Regards,

Ashish Mathur

"Duffey" wrote:

In column B I have numbers 1 thou 10. In column C I have different dollar
amounts I want a total of all the ones a total of all the twos etc in
separate total cells e.g. 1 is the code for all the money spent on fuel this
month. 2 is the code for all the money spent on office supplies etc

Duffey

This is exactly what I want to do but where would I put this formula? I need
separate totals at bottom of page e.g.
office 1 15.00
fuel 2 20.00
tools 3 10.00
office 1 5.00
misc 4 50.00
fuel 2 10.00

Total = 20.00 (which is all the code ones totaled for office supplies)
Total = 30.00 (which is all the code twos totaled for fuel)
So would I have several cells with the different totals
Duffey

Hi,

"Duffey" wrote:

In column B I have numbers 1 thou 10. In column C I have different dollar
amounts I want a total of all the ones a total of all the twos etc in
separate total cells e.g. 1 is the code for all the money spent on fuel this
month. 2 is the code for all the money spent on office supplies etc

R.VENKATARAMAN

use subtotals or pivot tables. see help in both
you need headings and you sort accoridng to first item and then use
data-subtotals

---------------------
Duffey wrote in message
This is exactly what I want to do but where would I put this formula? I

need
separate totals at bottom of page e.g.
office 1 15.00
fuel 2 20.00
tools 3 10.00
office 1 5.00
misc 4 50.00
fuel 2 10.00

Total = 20.00 (which is all the code ones totaled for office supplies)
Total = 30.00 (which is all the code twos totaled for fuel)
So would I have several cells with the different totals
Duffey

Hi,