Elizabeth Free

Default Adding numbers to a running total

I am trying to track the number of notecards that I am selling each month. I
set up a column that says sold, but I don't want to have to do the
calculations each time I sell one. I would like to enter 5 notecards sold
(let's say) and have that be added to the total sold list. The next day I
would delete 5 and enter 1o total sold and have that added to my total sold
list. how do I do this?!!

Elizabeth Free wrote:
I am trying to track the number of notecards that I am selling each month.
I set up a column that says sold, but I don't want to have to do the
calculations each time I sell one. I would like to enter 5 notecards sold
(let's say) and have that be added to the total sold list. The next day I
would delete 5 and enter 1o total sold and have that added to my total sold
list. how do I do this?!!

There are usually many ways to solve a problem, depending on
the details of the design of your spreadsheet which we are
not privy to.

Suppose the "sold" data is in column A, and that is all that
is in that column other than titles, perhaps. You could put
=SUM(A:A) in a cell in another column, e.g. B1.

Alternatively, suppose you have data in A2:A9. If you keep
A1 and A10 blank (or text), you could put =SUM(A1:A10) into
A11. When you enter data for the next month, do Insert Row
above A10. The =SUM() range will be adjusted automatically.
This fits with a common bookkeeping format, namely:

A B
1 Month Sold
2 Jan 5
3 Feb 10